Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BGS/ BRIX G is taking shape I have rebuilt the engine following the valve problems and it is now running like a little sewing machine again.
Yesterday I picked up the Tac Lights and an IR Black light. you will not beleave where I found them, but realy it makes sense, At the "Old Sodbury Sort Out" which is a giant yard sale for Landy parts including ex mil, and of course the lights fitted by REME MT were also fitted to Landrovers, Repaired them today and matched them up to relavant lights, now need painting, any one got a pot of olive drab ???
The little bonnet "hood" stay is a boon when working in the engine room I can't understand why they were not fitted to all early Gs

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Interesting engine bay. Quite the air cleaner housing on that little sewing machine! And what's that aluminium dome with the water lines going up to straddle the thermostat?

Neat stuff.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sewing machine????? thought this was a nippy little truck on the quick whizz round the block i gave it but then again i've not driven a brabus [:)]. The seat configuration was v interesting too, know it's not how you want to keep it but maybe worth a pic??

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The air cleaner is very interesting and a lot of people miss the technology. The induction grows larger in steps allowing the air to expand, expanding air creates a vacuum, a vacuum causes a drop in temperature, ipso, who needs an intercooler.

But what if you are allready in sub zero temps. then that little dome with the two pipes is what you need, carburator pre-heating from the constant hot water provided by the Webasto engine and cabin heater.

I have spent many a wintery 5 days at minus 20c static on a Soviet detention in one of these and without that little heater and that little engine we would have caved in.

Here is the next little addition I have now found.

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 240GD+, Alfa Brera 3,2 V6 Q4 2006, Alfa GT 3,2 V6.
221 Posts
Is it a neon-light (one of those flat cakes) or a skylight?
Nice little strap (above booster) arrangement that you have to hold the bonnet fully open without resting it on the rubber window trim. Was that your addition or standard in your model?

M.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
4x4rancher - 4/4/2005 6:17 PM

The air cleaner is very interesting and a lot of people miss the technology. The induction grows larger in steps allowing the air to expand, expanding air creates a vacuum, a vacuum causes a drop in temperature, ipso, who needs an intercooler.....
QUOTE]

True in theory, but probably not significant as any gain would be lost again on further travel down the line. It would be interesting to set a thermocouple or two and see if any difference in air temp could be measured.

The dominant effect though, is probably slowing the air down to allow dust to fall out, just like snow drifts on the leeward side of your garden wall. It's an interesting shape to accomplish the goal. In the "Against Gravity" book McCabe makes a bit of a big deal about the air cleaner fitted by the outfitter of his G for the PD rally being some kind of special dust separating contraption. I've never seen a picture of the air cleaner actually in use at the time, so it got me to wondering if there really was special kit for high-dust environs, or if he was just easily impressed by the admittedly better than average engineering of the standard 280GE fitment.

Thanks for sharing all the pix. Cool stuff.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only special environment filters I have known to be fitted to MB vehicles is the Cyclone filter fitted to the Wolf range, this operates in both dust and snow to seperate particles, the British Army of my day almost always relied on the old fashioned but effective oil bath filter for dust and anti ice manifold ducting for snow

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a linked subject Dave, I remember a thread where some one was looking to improve brake performance or upgrade brakes.
The 230 has been upgraded to a gross weight of 2.8 tons and a towing capacity of 3.6 tons.
To achieve this the springs shocks have been upgraded and the Vacuum Acumulater and master cylinder have been changed to increase braking efficiency.
The PNs for thes are respectivley.
Acu.= ATE 3 6857-1402.4 or MB 002 430 9030
Mcyl= FAG S5514

The two valves in the pic are to test brake pressures on a TUV test.
In the pic of the air intake can you throw any light on the components each side of the haet pipe from the manifold, I am guessing air flap for carb anti ice and moisture trap with drain.

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
4x4rancher - 4/5/2005 3:51 PM
.....can you throw any light on the components each side of the haet pipe from the manifold, I am guessing air flap for carb anti ice and moisture trap with drain.
I think you're right on the air flap. The two vacuum lines no doubt go into a thermostatic switch so that some minimum intake air temp is maintained, just as you say, to prevent icing of the throttle bore. When intake is cold, vacuum is applied to the pancake actuator, opening the flap to draw warmer air. When air is warmer, vacuum shuts off and spring return closes the flap to draw more outside air.

I'm not sure about the "moisture trap" thingie. Regular civie G's have a smaller, plastic thing in a similar position, and I thought it was a bypass in case of an utterly plugged air filter. The idea being to avoid applying full engine vacuum to the air filter element if it gets plugged, wet, etc.

But I have to say, I'm not sure.

-Dave G.

PS - those are great part numbers to have for the brake parts. They'd make great kit for anyone running tires 35" or larger.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Dave, the thingy has a little mushroom shaped valve pointing down, if you pull it down it opens a valve from the clear plastic receptor so I think it may be a moisture trap, the electrical conections to the carb are all part of the temp sensors for the webasto engine heating system, which I should have replaced shortly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts