Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2841 - 2860 of 2899 Posts

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Interesting that a TEXAN who says he "will never go back" is such a staunch supporter of leave the EU. Plebs.?? Can the UK stand alone TODAY.??
Margaret Thatcher didn't seem to think so.

·
Moderately subtle
12,047 Posts
Boris Trump is playing games. Just ask the people what they want NOW. The last vote was too close to call. Within the margin of error here in the US.
YES I was born in a British colony. Back in the days of the British Empire. Pound was King of the world, and Britain was an empire.
A new Brexit vote should decide how the people feel right now about the cluster fuck, and their future. 1/1 vote I don't think so.
Sorry, but that vote was 52-48%. That's a pretty clear mandate, and just because the politicians have generated a "cluster fuck" hoping to filibuster themselves into another vote to please their masters is no reason to have one.

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
Margin was four percent on a paper ballot. Not even close.
Since you brought up the US election do you remember that Hilary won the popular vote in 2016 and the unelected College gave the job to Trump anyway? Was that election re-held? And what about the hanging chad fiascos in Florida?

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
Interesting that a TEXAN who says he "will never go back" is such a staunch supporter of leave the EU. Plebs.?? Can the UK stand alone TODAY.??
Margaret Thatcher didn't seem to think so.
Born in Bristol England of parents grandparents great-grandparents etc etc back to 1066 and before also born in England.
And if I ever DO go back I would like to go back to a free Democratic country, not one run remotely by an unelected politburo of Belgians French and Luxembourgers.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Born in Bristol England of parents grandparents great-grandparents etc etc back to 1066 and before also born in England.
And if I ever DO go back I would like to go back to a free Democratic country, not one run remotely by an unelected politburo of Belgians French and Luxembourgers.

All I can say is good luck. Why the hell did you join the EUSSR in the first place.?

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
The Brits voted to joined the "Common Market", which morphed into the European Economic Community. It was a free trade zone not a federalized "United States of Europe".

We were not given a vote on Maastricht (which Thatcher vehemently opposed) nor the Treaty of Lisbon that together created the European Union, or EUSSR as I and many others now refer to it as.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Margin was four percent on a paper ballot. Not even close.
Since you brought up the US election do you remember that Hilary won the popular vote in 2016 and the unelected College gave the job to Trump anyway? Was that election re-held? And what about the hanging chad fiascos in Florida?
Hanging chads. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I remember that like it was yesterday. No more hanging chads in today's world. (I hope)

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Sorry, but that vote was 52-48%. That's a pretty clear mandate, and just because the politicians have generated a "cluster fuck" hoping to filibuster themselves into another vote to please their masters is no reason to have one.
That was then. Clear mandate.?? I don't think so. Time will tell.

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
So what margin do YOU consider the minimum before the vote is legit? First past the post rules applied and leave was four points ahead.

Supposing there WAS another referendum and the vote was 53 leave to 47 remain? Would that do?

Or would you call "best of five"?

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
If the next Superbowl is won 52-48 (no idea if that score is arithmetically possible but...), would that be "within the margin of error" and would you demand a replay?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I always understood the referendum was supposed to be non-binding

So apathy may have resulted in low turnout, the old dears with nothing else to do but dream of Empire and Glory Days voted leave, the millennials, too busy texting, said fuck it, it doesn't mean anything anyways

Please correct me if I'm wrong

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
So what margin do YOU consider the minimum before the vote is legit? First past the post rules applied and leave was four points ahead.

Supposing there WAS another referendum and the vote was 53 leave to 47 remain? Would that do?

Or would you call "best of five"?
That would do it. LEAVE. That would mean that the British people are absolutely sure, for a second time, and the cluster fuck should end immediately.
HUGE margin is not necessary I agree, but were the British people well informed before the last referendum.? Consequences etc.???
I still don't see 52-48% as a huge margin/mandate. Even it comes out again at 52-48% LEAVE.
This is NOT the Superbowl.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Dude, almost any score is possible in football other than 1. And, keep voting and adding the "scores" until you get to the magic margin. In the mean time there is no Brexit happening because no one can seem to figure out how to get the lemmings to jump off the Brexit cliff now they they have walked up to it and can see how far down you go, and how unlikely it is you are going to miss the rocks...

Jim

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
That would do it. LEAVE. That would mean that the British people are absolutely sure, for a second time, and the cluster fuck should end immediately.
HUGE margin is not necessary I agree, but were the British people well informed before the last referendum.? Consequences etc.???
I still don't see 52-48% as a huge margin/mandate. Even it comes out again at 52-48% LEAVE.
The thing about that margin - 52 to 48 - is that if 1% change their vote it takes the "margin" from 4% to 2% - 51 to 49. Therefore it is still a bit of a "fragile" rather than "robust" margin. But, the point of voting is to get an answer. In this case a margin of 1 vote is apparently all that is needed. If the public was asleep at the switch and the outcome is actually jeopardy then there should likely be another vote. If the Brexit supporters think they got it right the first time they should not object to another vote. A second vote that threw some sand into the lubrication of the cluster fucking should be welcomed.

Jim

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
The Referendum wasn't itself binding but The 2017 Act of Parliament that followed most definitely IS. And backed by 498 to 114 in Parliament.

The people were hardly asleep in the run up to the referendum. The publicity campaigns, especially the government backed remain one, and "Project Fear" in particular, was immense. Turnout was actually higher than any other popular vote since at least the 1945 (46?) General Election following WW2. And by 52:48 the British people voted leave anyway.

Given that the Lib Dems want a second vote but refuse to honour the outcome unless it suits them and given Labour has this week impaled itself even more firmly on the fence, and finally given that Parliament has TWICE been offered another General Election to decide things once and for all - and bottled it - what mandate is there for a second referendum?

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
PS latest UK opinion poll result is 60% "just get on with it".

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
So why are Labour the Lib Dems and the SNP all so afraid of a general election?

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
The findings suggest that despite all the parliamentary wrangling, almost half the UK thinks we should leave with or without a deal by October 31, 2019 (47 per cent) compared to 37 per cent who believe Britain should stay in the EU.

Asked if they agreed with the statement: 'I don’t care how Brexit happens, we just need to get on with it now', 49 per cent said yes and 41 per cent said no (11 per cent didn’t know).

One in five adults said they would be pleased if we left without a deal (21 per cent), compared to 31 per cent who said they’d be pleased if there was a second referendum.

Twenty nine per cent said they would be angry if Article 50 was extended until January 31, 2020, compared to 12 per cent who said they would be pleased.

Asked how they would feel if the UK remained in the EU, 28 per cent said pleased and 28 per cent said betrayed - suggesting the country is still evenly split over Brexit.

Broken down, half of 2016 Leave voters (54 per cent) said would feel betrayed by the UK remaining in the EU, whereas it would please half of 2016 Remain voters (51 per cent).
71 per cent of those surveyed placed blame on Jeremy Corbyn

71 per cent of those surveyed placed blame for the Brexit impasse on Jeremy Corbyn CREDIT: ANDY RAIN/REX
The survey found strong support for a general election with 47 per cent backing a poll after October 31, 2019 compared to 26 per cent who disagreed (27 per cent didn’t know).
There was less support for a ballot before Halloween, which was supported by 35 per cent compared to 41 per cent (24 per cent didn’t know).
But in a worrying sign for the two main parties, half of British adults agreed they have a good understanding of The Brexit Party (52 per cent) and the Liberal Democrat’s Brexit Policy (51 per cent) compared to two in five for the Conservatives (41 per cent) and only three in ten for Labour’s (29 per cent).

2841 - 2860 of 2899 Posts