Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2761 - 2780 of 2801 Posts

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Just wait and see. I'm sure Boris has wargamed every possible outcome and the mood back home amongst the plebs is hardening behind Boris and against the current self-serving hypocritical Parliament.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
As one of our illustrious members is alleged to have once said "wrong Johnson".

It was Boris's brother JO who has resigned.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Bozza is playing chess with Parliament. The English and Scottish High Courts both tossed lawsuits attempting to block Parliament being prorogued (suspended) and Parliament forgets it has NO POWER to tell the Prime Minister what he MUST DO, only to tell him what he MUST NOT DO. And I wouldn't put it past Queenie to suddenly catch the flu and be bed ridden until a miraculous recovery the day after Brexit, meaning the Bill passed this week doesn't get Royal Assent and therefore doesn't become Law anyway.

·
Registered
61,533 Posts
Aaaaand another secretary quits...

"It is with great sadness that I am resigning as Secretary of State for Work and Pensions and Minister for Women and Equalities.

It has been an honour to serve in a department that supports millions of people and can be such a force for good. I would like to pay tribute to the thousands of people who work for the DWP across the country. They are committed public servants and I am proud of the work that we have done together over the last 10 months to create a more compassionate welfare system.

I would also like to thank you and the Chancellor of the Exchequer for your support in the recent Spending Review. I am so pleased that you committed to spend millions more supporting the most vulnerable in society, and I hope that the Government will stay committed to going further at the next fiscal event, building on the work the department has done.

This has been a difficult decision. I joined your Cabinet in good faith; accepting that 'no deal' had to be on the table, because it was the means by which we would have the best chance of achieving a new deal to leave on October 31.

However, I no longer believe leaving with a deal is the Government's main objective.

The Government is expending a lot of energy to prepare for 'no deal' but I have not seen the same level of intensity go into our talks with the European Union, who have asked us to present alternative arrangements to the Irish backstop.

The updates I have been grateful to receive from your office have not, regretfully, provided me with the reassurances I sought.

I must also address the assault on decency and democracy that took place last week when you sacked 21 talented, loyal One Nation Conservatives.

This short-sighted culling of my colleagues has stripped the party of broad-minded and dedicated Conservative MPs I cannot support this act of political vandalism.

Therefore, it is with regret that I am also surrendering the Conservative whip.

Britain's body politic is under attack from both sides of the ideological debate. I will now play whatever role I can to help return it to a better place.

I have been lucky to have had extraordinary support from my Conservative Association since I was adopted as their candidate in 2006. Three times they helped elect me as their MP, keeping Labour at bay through nail-biting campaigns.

I remain a proud conservative and will continue to champion the values of fairness and compassion, and to support my constituents of Hastings and Rye.

Yours Sincerely,
Amber Rudd"

·
Registered
61,533 Posts
This much, I suspect, is true. The voters have fallen out of love, for now, with Jeremy Corbyn (though the 2017 general election is a warning against dismissing the Labour leader too glibly). They are also heartily sick of Brexit, sick of the whole argument, sick of the real world complexity of a process they were assured in 2016 would be thrillingly easy.

After three years of dither and delay, it is not hard to imagine a measure of public sympathy with Johnson’s contempt for convention: his suspension of parliament, his purges, even his declared readiness to break the law.

We are undoubtedly living through a populist moment, marked by a high degree of frustration with representative democracy, its flummery and its procrastinations.

What I do not think is that this frustration yet amounts to a blank cheque, or anything like adulation for the prime minister. Voters want Brexit sorted (whatever that means); but I am much less convinced that they are longing to make Johnson galactic emperor and to give Cummings the right to wear in public the Darth Vader helmet he surely already has in his desk drawer.

Fixated by their tactical objectives, the prime minister and his right-hand man are courting strategic disaster. In less than a fortnight, Johnson has managed to expel or drive away just about every senior Conservative MP who had a claim to being described as humane, moderate or decent. Ken Clarke, Rory Stewart, Oliver Letwin, Justine Greening, Nicholas Soames. You may not like all or any of these Tories, but I hope you’d agree that getting rid of them has not exactly helped those who still assert that the Conservatives are a mainstream, “one nation” party.

Johnson’s own brother Jo was so appalled by the expulsion of the 21 MPs that he is leaving politics altogether. As Rudd told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show , all this is “a big symbol”. She herself was once considered by many in David Cameron’s circle as the moderniser best placed to succeed him.

Although her majority in Hastings is tiny, she was often touted as the natural replacement for Theresa May – a prospect that receded sharply after her resignation from the Home Office over the Windrush scandal. Although she backed Jeremy Hunt in the leadership contest, she continued to believe that Johnson could be steered away from the abrasiveness, recklessness and nativism of the more extreme Brexiteers.

And she was wrong. As Rudd now admits, this government is not really preparing for a Brexit deal at all: its mission is to leave the EU on 31 October by all and any means necessary. The no-deal outcome that Johnson promised in June was “a million to one against” is now his highest priority.

In driving out Rudd and all the others, the prime minister has managed to make Corbyn’s Labour look like a broad church: quite a feat. Stella Creasy, Yvette Cooper and Jess Phillips may not be on the frontbench, but they have not been purged (not yet, anyway).

The rich irony is that Johnson himself used to be – or at least behaved as if he were – exactly the sort of Conservative which he is now expelling. He was the so-called “Heineken Tory”, who could reach the parts of the electorate other members of his party could not. It was routine for those on the left to say that they hated most Conservatives with a passion but could still imagine having a pint with Boris.

The Tories have always desperately needed such figures: those who humanised the party’s tough, technocratic face and acted as guarantors of its intentions, at least to a sufficiency of voters. Just as Labour always requires a cohort of protagonists who exude competence as well as compassion, so the Tories cannot survive without a core of ambassadors who do not look as though they list “implementing austerity at the weekend” as their hobby in Who’s Who. And now they’re all gone – most of them, anyway.

Who knows if they’ll be back? Meanwhile, Johnson is wrecking the Conservative party at astonishing speed, turning it into a single-issue campaign group with no soul or purpose beyond the completion of his Brexit dream. But why should he care? As Cummings would doubtless say, he had to destroy the Tory party in order to save it.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Aaand who gives a rat's ass if the treacherous Remoaners finally show their true colors...

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
the cons on the other side of the water have watched what the cons here have refused to do

and they ain't seeing a happy ending-

its possible there as many pubs like moscow mitch

that are as in debt to puti as is trump & sons and daughter-

2761 - 2780 of 2801 Posts
About this Discussion
2.8K Replies
48 Participants
stockdill
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing