Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2006 S500 4matic, 2005 S500
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I got one, but the truth of the matter is that you REALLY don´t need it. 99% of the batteries wich we put to that test show "faulty". Why? Because you KNEW they were faulty before putting them to the test. What we do is not testing, but asking for some sort of a miracle.

None of us ever had to test a REALLY GOOD battery, did you?
Interesting thought. Maybe some of those batteries were good, but were tested prior to reconditioning?

In 1980 I was in high school, no money, and had a battery failure on my 1972 Chevy El Camino. Went to Sears and they put the battery on a tester. and it failed. They sold me a new battery for $60, which was huge money for me. El Camino started for three days- then same problem, battery was dead. Problem ended up being a loose belt on the alternator. That $60 meant a lot to me in 1980, and I replaced a likely good battery that tested bad.

I have found way to many w220 battery failures after sitting in a auction lot. These batteries held a charge and were functional prior to sitting for a few weeks/months. I simply want to better understand why the w220 batteries do not come back from full discharge, while many standard lead batteries often do. Maybe AGM design- heck if I know, but I am learning more about batteries- maybe it will make me anal retentive when it comes to trickel charging. We will see when I test and/or try and put the w220 battery in service that I have been trying to service for the past two weeks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Update- purchased a battery load tester yesterday. The battery passed the load test, stayed in the green but at the lower end of the green load test scale. Might put the battery in a S500 for a final test.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The battery was installed in a salvaged 2003 S500 that had a cracked oil pan and ran without oil. The S500 has been sitting over six months.

Put in some oil, turned the key- cranked the S500 up beautifully.

IMHO- one can revive a completely dead w220 battery that would not even allow it to be charged, that was sitting discharged over six months. I don't know the long term quality of this battery- but I would not hesitate to install in in my daily driver.

Took almost two weeks of fiddling and three different chargers to bring back to life- not a quick task, but a very easy task if one has the time. Sure beat paying $180 USD plus tax for a battery.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,749 Posts
I have a good old faithful analog load tester but this electronic one I bought back in June 2018 really is slick.

I use one of those for few years. Works, easy and intuitive to use. Unlike carbon pile load tester it is not invasive. Testing marginal battery with load tester may brake last straw and trip low voltage codes in every module.

I did quick overview of Ancel BA101 in W210 forum.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts