Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 79 G Wagon for sale in Canada and was wondering about bringing it back to the US. SInce its more that 25 years old, I don't have to worry about EPA and stuff? I assume I have to pay some kind of import tax or something or do I? The only thing I assume is that I can just drive it back to the US and think everything is going to be ok. I've read the link on clubgwagon and that talks about vehicle newer than 25 years. How different is it for older vehicles?

Thanks for your time and understanding.

Tim

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,982 Posts
Tim Sanford - 4/13/2006 9:03 AM

I found a 79 G Wagon for sale in Canada and was wondering about bringing it back to the US. SInce its more that 25 years old, I don't have to worry about EPA and stuff? I assume I have to pay some kind of import tax or something or do I? The only thing I assume is that I can just drive it back to the US and think everything is going to be ok. I've read the link on clubgwagon and that talks about vehicle newer than 25 years. How different is it for older vehicles?

Thanks for your time and understanding.

Tim
You'll need PROOF of it's age for sure. Check the link I recently posted from the DOT/NHTSA website.

·
Registered
looking . . .
10 Posts
I don't want to distract from the original question but I do have an add-on question. It was my understanding that you didn't have to make modifications to import a vehicle 25 years old or older (but I could be wrong).

My question is how you get a vehicle that is 25 years old not only in to the US but in to Kalifornia. I have been in contact with the BAR, ARB, and DMV but just get the run around. According to the DMV website, in order to be exempt from smog testing the truck has to have been built before 1976 or be a diesel. So could I import a 25 year old diesel without having to get it BAR certified?

Thanks,
Chad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts