Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
ML55
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I was wondering what happened the other night to my ML55. Here's the story, I was heading home when some ass decided to not pay attention to the two lanes merging into a single lane so I floored the pedal and created some distance between me and his mustang. A few minutes later I got onto the highway and noticed my transmission wasn't shifting. I went up to about 45mph and didnt want to go any faster because the tach went to about 3000rpm at that point and I knew something was wrong. So for a couple miles I slowed down, pulled over, shifted manually from P to R and still it wasn't shifting. Finally I turned the car off after reading the owners manual and what it said about limp mode. After a few minutes of the car being off, i started it up and everything functioned normally again.
Has anyone ever experienced this? I recently had the dealer inspect the transmission fluid and it was full at the time, and when I bought the car they told me its shifting at its highest shift points, indicating its about worn out but other than that I've never had an issue.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
ML55
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
to follow up, i would like to have the dealer flush out the old tranny fluid with new since its 141k miles and counting of original fluid. The dealer told me theres a risk changing the fluid, but i kinda think keeping the old probably burnt fluid with 141k worth of foreign material to stay in it more hazardous for the transmission yes?

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
Find a good indy... I think that dealer is working a blather head game on you.. they dont call 'em stealerships for nothing. Remember its service that makes most of the money for the dealership.. They will probably have you replace your whole transmission with some song and dance when your problem is likely a bad MAF, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, ,bad Crank shaft position sensor, or something else... but yes you should definitely replace your transmission fluid and reset the transmission with the proper startup sequence (search for it).

·
Registered
ML55
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! yes I will likely do the transmission flush next month if I don't decide to sell it. But I used to work at this dealer and my service adviser so i hope they're not pulling any funny business, but I also agree they do have quota's and keep very close track of revenue made from the service advisers. At least I get a 15% coupon every December so I try to leave the big ticket items til discount time :)

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Hello AMG,

My ML55 did this on and off until eventually one day it just stayed in the same gear (2nd).

Then the check engine light came on and the code read P0715.

Advice from the forum at the time was to have a transmission oil and filter change first and see.

That was done to no avail and I was then advised to change the 13-pin transmission plug - Which I did to no avail either.

I was then advised to change the conductor plate........and Bingo! The gears started to change again.

So PDX is right. Start with transmission oil and filter, then 13-pin connector, then lastly conductor plate.

Does the truck have any fault codes? Did the check engine light illuminate when the gears stopped changing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey how are you. I had the EXACT same issue with my 2003 ML.
I personally think the limp mode is dangerous... Im in NY and as im on an entrance to the highway, my car kicks into limp mode and I try to drive and merge onto the highway but it wont go.. I press onto the gas and it takes a full 4 seconds before it even moves, and then when it does start to move it will only go about 5 mph, then another 4 seconds and it will start to go faster... so dangerous. especially trying to get onto NY highways where evereybody else is doing 80mph and i have to try to move onto that with a 5mph vehicle.

even at stop signs, I have people beeping because they think im not trying to go, but I was actually flooring it.. it just takes a few seconds for it to kick in and actually go.. insane..

I usually solved the issue by pulling over and turning the car off... waiting 20 seconds then turn it back on.

but anyway, I took it to the dealership, $3000 later I got my car back. I'll look at the paperwork and see what it said. and write back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts