Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560SL
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am plannning to replace the plug wires on my 1988 560SL as I believe mine are the factory originals. They are Bosch and the wire says "copper". I assume that the resistors and connections degrade over time and use. I am looking for the equivalent wires that I understand have resistors built into the ends and are to be used with non-resistor spark plugs.

Has anyone used the Bremi wire set? They are sold by many suppliers and appear to be the same as Beru, but somewhat less expensive. They seem to share the same part number; W0133-1606079. They are described as copper core, silicone insulation, OEM resistor types.

I have read that the Bosch wire set is no longer the same as the original, and quality is not the same. Also there are a couple different types, and I don't know which ones are actually OEM construction. I have new Bosch W9DC (7511) plugs, which I plan to use.

Thanks for any advice.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,362 Posts
Never read that about the Bosch wires. I have used them and have no complaints.
Never heard of the wires you posted.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
I have read that the Bosch wire set is no longer the same as the original, and quality is not the same. Also there are a couple different types, and I don't know which ones are actually OEM construction. I have new Bosch W9DC (7511) plugs, which I plan to use.
If you are concerned about OEM construction, you cshould buy the wires and plugs from the dealer.

EPC says to make up wires using bulk cable, end parts and a special crimping tool. They do mention wire sets in a separate note and say to order BQ4150028 (for 560SL). Interestingly, that without the B is a Karlyn number and Bremi and Karlyn are part of same group. RM list them here

epc specifies Champion plugs for 560SL! (N12 YCC), but the net believes otherwise ;)

Be careful what you read on the net. Bosch wires may now be different from the early 70s wires, but that does not make them lower in quality. They do recommend using resistor plugs too, but the wisdom of the net says otherwise. (Although I use Bosch wires & Resistor plugs with no problems)

I doubt our cars had Bosch as OE wires. They may have been Beru. But Beru is now owned by Borg Warner. Bremi supplies other German car manufacturers but likely not MB. They have plants in Germany and China.

That should be enough confusion for now :)

·
Registered
US spec MB560SL 1986, Audi A4 and A6, Ford Taunus 1964 17M and 2.0 1975
1,419 Posts
Bremi ignition parts for 560SL

I have used Bremi ignition parts like wires, rotor and cap. They had all the electrical values within MBNA service book tolerances. Bremi parts have been running without any issues more than year. The black ignition cap wheather cover was not included, you have to reuse your original cover and the PVC hose protection above the cam covers was not included. I do not know if any other brand has included these in their IGN spare sets. I added large size wireharness protective PVC hoses to make the Bremi wire set look original.

Most eBay sellers do not have any idea about the correct 560SL wire, rotor and cap resistances - I have to return couple of sets before I found the Bremi set.

I try to remember to add later some pics of the Bremi packings and their part numbers.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good information, thanks!
MBGraham does not think Bosch wires are original. I looked at mine and they are Bosch, but could have been replaced by the original owner. He had the dealer do regular service and preventative maintenance, but I don't have details. I just assumed (I've been wrong before...). Anyway, I think he is correct. The wires are gray and have printed on them;"Bosch-7MM Opti-layer Copper Core Ultra Premium". Lot's of info for a factory wire!

·
Registered
US spec MB560SL 1986, Audi A4 and A6, Ford Taunus 1964 17M and 2.0 1975
1,419 Posts
Original IGN wires are black and they have cylinder numbers taped at the cap side ends.

I know Bremi company and I changed couple of emails with them before my IGN parts purchase. I got pretty confident they are really serious to make their parts fullfill the MB requirements.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
Anyway, I think he is correct. The wires are gray and have printed on them;"Bosch-7MM Opti-layer Copper Core Ultra Premium". Lot's of info for a factory wire!
The recent 1kohm wires from Bosch (that you have read are of poor quality ;) ) are marked that way. They are readily available from on-line stores. I bought mine 4 or 5 years ago from Auto haus Ariz ona. I doubt those wires were available when the cars were new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts