Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
05 SLK350
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.

Collected my SLK350 from Bremen last week, there are a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
Congratulations it looks very nice, how was the return trip and how long did it take you to drivr back to the UK. Regards EDD11Y

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Congrats - great photos, brought it all back for me, - I also had 3 miles on the odometer in the collection hall - thought they ran it for longer on the rolling road??

·
Registered
05 SLK350
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trip back was via Amsterdam (Lloyd Hotel, very cool) I took about 3 and a half hours from Bremen to Amsterdam. Then about 6 hours from Amsterdam to Bristol, so total milage was 550 miles.

Car colour is good old Iridium with black leather and all the sensible options. About 170 cars were collected that day, we saw about 30 SLK's collected all black or silver and none with AMG kits, I guess the germans are a bit more sensible with the options list! lol.

Bemen are now making 270 SLK's a day! But no 320CDi or 280's are being built yet. Lots of interesting colours were on the production line, but black looks like the most popular colour they are builing at the moment.

I think the 3miles on the clock comes from the test track run they give some cars when they come off the production line, that was one of the best parts of the factory tour, seeing various cars being driven flat out up the test track, some great sounds!!

Here is a pic of the SLK they had in the Designo showroom, and the 1955 105mph race car transporter!!

Anyone in the UK buying an SLK must do the Bremen pick-up ITS MAGIC!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
R171 200K
115 Posts
Nice pics. Do you notice anything special about the designo black when looking at it in person? In the pictures it looks pretty ordinary...?

·
Registered
05 SLK350
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello.

The designo black looked like a very rich very dark blue/black colour. Nice, but not sure its worth the extra money.

Regards

Andy

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
BAZMAN - 4/19/2005 2:22 AM

Too many SLKs being produced, we are loosing the exclusivity factor real fast ladies and gents [:(!]
I don't mind, it's more fun flicking the high beams on to say hello to another SLK owner [:D]

You want exclusivity? There's plenty of cars of which only a handful exist, or are made a year [;)] (ok, so they're a bit more expensive).

Anyway, 270 SLK's a day? That's around 50-60 thousand SLK's a year [:D] (assuming they work around 200 days a year)

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
So far, in the Chicago area I've only seen one other SLK 350, a red one. I think we will have some level of exclusivity for some time to come.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
I get cars because I want them, not for exclusivity. There are probably a lot of real dogs an exclusivity buff might try. Here in the US, a Renault would just about guarantee exclusivity, for example. [:)]

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Sounds like you had a fab trip!!! I can't wait to collect mine!!! [:D]

Car looks fantastic!!! [8D]

Can't get over 30 SLK's - gosh that's more than I've seen since it was launched!!! [8)]

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Did you see the SLK production line?
And did you stop at the test track?
I would have liked both those opportunities. We saw the SL line, which was interesting as well. They said the SLK was like the SL, basically hand assembled apart from the windscreen which is done by robot.

·
Registered
05 SLK350
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, we did get a tour of the SLK production line, where all our SLK's were born [:)]

The painted shells arrive at one end, and most of the parts are added by hand. It was interesting to see all the different colours that were being ordered, as the cars are built in exactly the order they are ordered. So a full spec AMG maybe be right behine a basic 200.

Most popular was black, followed by silver. Also saw an amazing creamy gold (Designo) colour car being built, the owner must be brave!! lol

I thought the most interesting part of the SLK line is where the finished body meets the engine and running gear, this is all connected with 12 bolts tightened by a robot. Had to wait around for a while to see a 350 enging go in! [:)]

A lot of care was shown at every stage of the process. We even found a dark green SLK on the line being built for a UK customer, I wonder who that will be!

Maybe the forum should organize a special SLK factory visit?

The test track is just outside the collection area doors, so anyone can what this part of the fun, it started raining when I was there, I wanted to wait for an SLK55 or SL55 to go by!! But the SLK350 still sound good flat out!! [:)]

Regards

Andy

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Mr_techno - 4/19/2005 12:45 PM

Yes, we did get a tour of the SLK production line, where all our SLK's were born [:)]

The painted shells arrive at one end, and most of the parts are added by hand. It was interesting to see all the different colours that were being ordered, as the cars are built in exactly the order they are ordered. So a full spec AMG maybe be right behine a basic 200.

Most popular was black, followed by silver. Also saw an amazing creamy gold (Designo) colour car being built, the owner must be brave!! lol

I thought the most interesting part of the SLK line is where the finished body meets the engine and running gear, this is all connected with 12 bolts tightened by a robot. Had to wait around for a while to see a 350 enging go in! [:)]

A lot of care was shown at every stage of the process. We even found a dark green SLK on the line being built for a UK customer, I wonder who that will be!

The test track is just outside the collection area doors, so anyone can what this part of the fun, it started raining when I was there, I wanted to wait for an SLK55 or SL55 to go by!! But the SLK350 still sound good flat out!! [:)]

Regards

Andy
Count me in for the SLK factory visit!

Wooly: Another green SLK on its way to the UK. Now there will 3[:D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Mr_techno - 4/19/2005 12:45 PM

Regards

Andy
Count me in for the SLK factory visit!

Wooly:

Another green SLK on its way to the UK. Now there will 3[:D]

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Mr_techno - 4/18/2005 6:05 PM

Car colour is good old Iridium with black leather and all the sensible options. About 170 cars were collected that day, we saw about 30 SLK's collected all black or silver and none with AMG kits, I guess the germans are a bit more sensible with the options list! lol.
The black on looks like an AMG kit to me.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Snowball,
there is a separate Designo showroom, and the black desgno car pics are of a car in the showroom (with AMG kit), not one picked up on the day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts