Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Clk320
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my brakes and rotors soon... I figure this is a good time to upgrade. I checked the Brembo site for rotors and I only see them available for the rear and not the front??? Is this right? I also remember reading a thread a while back where someone has brembo rotors and had a different type of pad that is supposed to be dust free... does anybody know what they are called... i think they start with a "P"????

Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 CLK 430, 2001 ML 320
172 Posts
Brembo does make rotors for the front. I bought Brembo drilled and slotted rotors (not the big brake kit) for the front and ATE drilled and slotted rotors for the rear. I bought them off eBay. Basically they were slotted and drilled by a third party machine shop, not Brembo but they have worked w/o problems. I use ceramic pads on all fours and they work great. The pads you are thinking of are Porterfields and I have heard good things about them though I've never used them. Here's a pic of my Brembo front brakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Clk320
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will look into that. Just curious... is there any difference in performance or anything betwee slotted and drilled?

Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
To tell you the truth, I didn't notice any gain in braking ability. I needed new rotors and it was more or less an appearance upgrade. Maybe you would notice a slight gain if you used your car on the track where brake temps tend to creep up pretty high.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The ceramic pads I use really don't seem to make much of a difference with the dust problem.

·
Registered
1999 Clk320
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BBearden -- Have you, or anyone else, had any experience with Axxis pads? They sound like they are supposed to help with the dust problem... but I haven't really found a good place to buy them except on ebay. What about porterfield.. where is a good place to buy them? I couldn't even find those on ebay at all. Which is better?

Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Axxis seem like good pads from what I've heard. I don't know how they rack up against Porterfields. Both are supposed to be low dusting. I think either will be fine, though you could probably get the Axxis pads cheaper through eBay.

·
Registered
clk55
88 Posts
I bought Rotex brake pads and they work great.

In fact, they work so great that because I don't see
much brake dust, I tend not to wash the car so frequently.

I put the rotex on the F&R.
I have SSR GT3 wheels, that are of the open spoke design so I don't know if that may be a contributing factor, in that since the wheels are new, the dust may not be able to cling to the surface so easy plus 'maybe' because of the design, the dust tend to be directed away.

Whatever it is, I do have LESS brake dust and the brakes bite better and has more feel than the OEMs.

·
Registered
1999 Clk320
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I havent heard of those, but I will check them out too. What kind of rotors do you have?

·
Registered
1998 CLK200
19 Posts
I`m using normal Brembo rotors ( not drilled/slotted ) with Pagid brake pads and i don`t have any problems at all, i can say it`s almost dust-free, e v o sport has pagid brake pads but the price it`s really high.. search for Pagid on ebay or somewhere else you might get them cheaper if interested.

·
Registered
1999 Clk320
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your help. I know now that I am definitly not going back with stock pads and rotors.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Try Poterfield Pads - No more black dust.

You can get them from *.
You will need to specifiy your rear set up though.
From What i learned some rears pads on this car require (2) pin pads, some require (1) pin pads.

·
Registered
1999 Clk320
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fortyfive - 4/11/2005 10:19 AM

Try Poterfield Pads - No more black dust.

You can get them from *.
Looks like the URL got blocked. Can you PM it to me?

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts