Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My E55 had just the Brembo 14' brake upgrade installed.<br>
<br>
Total weight reduction in unsprung weight is so far 11.74lbs per side (minus the H&R spacer weight which should be less than 1 lb).<br>
<br>
Currently car is using 12mm H&R hub centric spacers which will cause very slight left front tire fender rub when turning right. However<br>
spacer thickness will be machined down to 7-8mm (still hub centric) for optimum fitment (still give about 3-4mm clearance between<br>
caliper and inside wheel spoke).<br>
<br>
Warning: this upgrade will necessitate use of 18' spare tire/wheel<br>
<br>
Will update on experience/feel after more driving time. <br>
<br>
You can check with [email protected] for pricing

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Brembo 14

i was just wondering, when i'll install<br> something stronger than stock brake callipers,<br> like those brembos, or four-piston callipers<br> from AMG, is there any need to do sort of upgrade to the master brake cyllinder?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Brembo 14

The set-up looks great. Just curious, why did you ugrade to Brembo? Weren't the AMG brakes good enough? I considering the same...thanks in advance...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Brembo 14

The stock AMG brake set-up is very good but they are heavy (at 39.7 lbs/side). The Brembo set-up is only 27.9 lb/side. That's significant reduction in unsprung weight.<br> <br> So far I have not fully bed the new pads since I am still in the process of machining the 12mm H&R spacer down to 7-8mm. Reason: to get more thread engangements from the longer lugs.<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spacers

Pram....H&R hubcentric spacers begin at 15mm (their 5mm is not hubcentric). Be careful machining these as some of my customer's machine shops have called me to order another set after damaging the first one during the setup. I would suggest a 10mm hubcentric set (66.5mm center bore) which can be imported from Germany. Your Brembo distributor should be able to supply these for you. Don't forget the longer lug bolts.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Brembo 14 update

Machined the 12mm H&R spacer down to 7.5mm (4mm from the back and 0.5mm from the front). Everything fits perfect now.<br> <br> Brembo pad seem to be not as bad as the stock (Jurid) pad in generating black dust but will try EBC green sometime later.<br> <br> After sufficiently bedding the pads, felt that the brake modulation is improved, not as grabby as the stock set-up. It is not more firm but that is probably inherent on the set-up of the brake master cylinder/booster.<br> <br> One other nice thing about the upgrade is the cadmium plating on the rotor which prevent it from rusting. After washing the car (and spraying the rotor to get rid of the brake dust) the rotor will not rust (shows back its gold-toned cadmium plating)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plated Rotors

The plating looks great on these new rotors......for about the first 5 miles. Realize that rotors are a consumable item with about 2mm (.080') of wear for each disk. The plating is very thin at .0002-.0004' and will quickly wear away on the surface of the disk. <br> <br> A better solution would be to add more nickel content to the rotor but pure stainless steel disks would not absorb the heat required which would then go into the calipers.<br> <br> Porsche's new ceramic composite disks (price just went up to $4000 per rotor...what are these guys thinking) use stainless steel hats as insulators. The disks themselves (350mm diameter) weigh about 4-5 lbs each...the hats are around 6 lbs each. Total weight is about half of the GT3 rotor pictured next to the ceramic disk.<br> <br> SD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts