Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to cleanly break into a W140 as my insurance company will not honour a claim for my golf clubs and other items that were stolen. They say that there is no physical evidence or volient evidence of a break into the car and therefore I am not covered. I know for a fact that the car was locked. Anyone have any ideas? Mine is a 1997 model.

·
Registered
1995 S420
548 Posts
Most insurance companies will NOT pay for items that are stored in the car. That comes from home owner's policy. The car theft covers items that are attached to the car, or permanently a part of it.

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
What is the company ??

have you got the recipts for the clubs ?

where was the car when the bag was stolen ?

do you have a copy of the insurance document?

·
Registered
CL 500 // S 500 L // E 320 T
548 Posts
I would first review for policy to check out if personal items left in the car are covered, some companies do offer such cover.

To pry open a W140 without actually imposing some damage into it is almost impossible, UNLESS someone has (for some unkown reason to you) a copy of your key/remote.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, but it was the home insurance company that will not pay out because there was no actual physical damage.

I gues it is unlikely that someone would have a scan of my remote.[:(]

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Its not for you to prove that the person who took your clubs did or did not have a scanner or a key.. just that they exsist and that they could have used one or the other to gain entry..After all you get in and out of your car every time without causing any damage..the argument that because there is no damage there has been no theft is felacious.. what they are saying in effect then is that you stole the clubs and other items from yourself or that you where in fact negligent.. if that is the case then they should take action against you for a fraudulent claim.. insist that they clarify their position..and request that they give you the details tel no address etc for you to contact the insurance ombudsman, that ought to light a fire..I think you might get a response.. Oh yes and insist that they say that they will continue to insure you wether you make a complaint or not...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts