Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I want to share an experience I had on the weekend.
Situation - A weekend Music festival! Partied hard, La-di-da.

Unfortunately the key got locked in the boot on the last night. So waking up far from home with no ride home, I wasn't ecstatic.

I considered the following (after some research - God bless Benzworld)
Mercedes tech - Difficult it being sunday
Breaking a window
Calling a friend to deliver the spare key.

There was a tow-in man on site but he was just looking for insurance bait.
I spoke to him hoping he would help me.

How we got the car open in the end was pure awesomeness. I ditched the tow in guy and found a piece of stiff wire.

So the trick is, make a small loop in the end of the wire, insert something flat above the door rubber and pry the door slightly open. Insert the wire in the front door corner (where the front and back door meet). Now push the wire down, if it goes in the wrong direction - pull back out, bend, push back in. Have someone direct you from the other side of the car. Aim for the handle.

It DOES scratch some paint off, and damages the rubber a little. What is great about the w210 is that pulling the handle will open the door, this is obviously not the case with all cars.

Door OPEN! Not bad for two hungover students.
Now to access the boot. There is a topic on that here somewhere.
Disconnect the battery, wait a min or two. Reconnect, push tow button and open boot at the same time (Something like that)

But this is where it gets interesting - Apparently one can open a car over the fone with the spare key. In other words someone pushing the button over the fone, your fone on 'speaker' will work.
Has anyone had any experience with this? I wonder if it works on our W210's?

Inbetween the battery, fuses (19,5,11), Me pressing the "open latch" button and my fone call with a friend pressing the button - My boot opened. :)

In conclusion;
Yes - You can hijack your W210 with a stiff wire. And open the boot by disconnecting the battery. :thumbsup:
First - Try over the fone spare key.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,680 Posts
The phone transferring the remote signal is a myth.
Funny I just picked up "new" W210 last week. The car has some malfunction with the locking program and locked the doors with key in the ignition. Fortunately that was at the dealer shop, where mechanic had a kit, that anybody can buy in US.
The kit had plastic wedge and inflatable air bag. Once you made small gap with wedge, you can insert flat air bags into the slot and by pumping it you will push the top of the door without damage. Than special extended hook grabbed the door lever. It was not too easy, but with few try-by errors on bending the hook did the trick. At least we did not have to worry about opening the trunk.
Ordering 2nd key is the first thing I've doing after bringing the car home.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
The conclusion should be
Yes - Only hangover student hijacks his W210 with a stiff wire to cause "scratch some paint off, and damages the rubber a little".

·
Registered
36,680 Posts
The conclusion should be
Yes - Only hangover student hijacks his W210 with a stiff wire to cause "scratch some paint off, and damages the rubber a little".
He..he... but when you read the forum >>> we do have good number of "adult" Mercedes owners who don't even have second key for the car.
Now imagine they lose the key on their vacations 220 miles from nearest MB dealer.
On the second tough - if they don't think about having second key, what are the chances they have registration with them?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
The conclusion should be
In SA it's probably cheaper to have it repainted and fit a new door gasket than to have the dealer open it properly.

IMHO, the *far* better course would have been to have the spare key delivered.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes Benz ML430 w163,2008 Mercedes Benz CLS550, RIP Mercedes Benz 1996 e320 w210
520 Posts
Nice thanks for sharing the story:))

Definetly keep this saved for future mishaps hopefully tho I will not find myself doing this;)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2000 E320
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Always bring the spare along, lesson learnt. BUY! a spare if you don't have one.
Or bite your lip and shove that wire down. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Minimum cost for lock out rescue while on trip:
USPS, FedEx's priority next day delivery of spare key, $10-$20.

·
Registered
36,680 Posts
Minimum cost for lock out rescue while on trip:
USPS, FedEx's priority next day delivery of spare key, $10-$20.
You have not used those services did you? I had USPS overnight letter that was delivered next day 1 hr before business closed.
MB will not send the key without owner personally presenting registration and ID.
Years ago my step mom went from SF to Long Beach to board the cruise ship. She left her passport at home, so I took it and drove to airport, where they charge me more than passenger ticket for taking the passport on the plane. Bad news that was the day we had fires in So California and the passport did not make it that day. They did not refund the money.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
USPS, FedEx never failed me.

>>MB will not send the key without owner personally presenting registration and ID.

No, I was talking about having a spare key sent from home. Well, my house door lock is digital so anyone can enter when I give the code to them.
Advice to all, buy a second key if your car comes with just one key. It costs $200-$300 now, but will pay off later plus the chrome looks much nicer than the old key.

·
Registered
36,680 Posts
I am just buying new key for new purchased car. Local Bay Area dealers want $250, while driving another 30 miles to Fairfield will get me the key for $200. Since I am also buying other stuff, the lower markup at farther dealer grows up.
Just a reminder >>> the best way to use the spare key is hide the blade key under the car, taped to the frame or inside magnetic box and than hide the knob inside the car, where taping it invisible in the battery compartment is my favorite.
This way you will never got stranded with lost key and still maintain high security.
Also exercise the mechanical locks as they might not turn with 10 years of accumulated dirt.

·
Registered
1999 E300TD- 18XK Miles; 1984 300SD- 375K Miles (Gone); 1992 300D 253K Miles (Sold); 2005 Tacoma
12 Posts
Actually, for some vehicles, the 'over the phone' occasionally works. I did it with a friend's late 1990s GMC. It has to be with a pretty specific audio range, I don't know the technicals.

I can nearly guarantee it will not work with our cars, considering I can't open my doors more than 20 feet away, and because it has the visual not audio signals.

If you get a chance, test it out on some of your non-Merc autos.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz E320
80 Posts
Unfortunately the key got locked in the boot on the last night. So waking up far from home with no ride home, I wasn't ecstatic.

I considered the following (after some research - God bless Benzworld)
Mercedes tech - Difficult it being sunday
Breaking a window
Calling a friend to deliver the spare key.
I did the same thing while visiting a friend about an hour away from home. Needless to say I felt like an idiot. I tried to figure out how to get in, but couldn't. Luckily, I was able to convince another friend to come the next morning with a spare key. Now I always make sure my key is in my pocket before closing the trunk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts