Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 ML55 AMG
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a quick question, I bought my 2001 ML55 AMG this summer, it was a one owner vehicle form TX it was in great shape and low mileage too, I love it! I have been on this web site ever since and learned a great deal, I had to replace the break switch and a couple of other thing and learned about it from this web. My question is I live in the Chicago area and now it's winter, snow and cold is hear, the problem I'm having now are my breaks, they squeak all the time and load, when I start off for the day they squeak in reverse and forward for the first 10min or so then are quiet but if I stop for more than 30min or so they start squeaking again.. It's killing me, what can I do.
I was going to replace the front breaks & routers in the spring as I have been looking at vetted disks and think that’s a good way to go.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have the same problem on all my cars, especially in the winter time. The rotors are moist and rusted so when they initially brake, it would create a lot of noise. The noise will go away after 3-5 brakes.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I know exactly how you feel.

Read my post below which contains a lot about what you may need to know to resolve this problem:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1432662-i-hate-my-ml55-right-now.html

You can get more information by doing a search of this Forum.

ps.

In the interim get yourself some dark shades, a disguise and tint the windows so noone can see the owner of the AMG truck that squeals like a pig.

It's what I did.:D

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
The goo

On the V8 models, especially the ML55, there is the Mercedes "brake goo" which gets installed to the sides of the brake pads to eliminate squealing.

It's actually a counter-intuitive process, meaning how/why it works is something I have never been able to wrap my head around, but from my expereince I now do it for all my MB brakes.

A tune of "goo" costs like $16 at the dealer, and its a lifetime supply - Farr had a issue being in Africa and successfully used a substitute.

You can measure his success story in his post - the MB pdf for V8's and a photo of the tube of goo attached.

On pads the OE German Pagid are awesomely made, the PosiQuiet semi-metallic are a affordably well made alternaive to the OE semi-metallic but not as much metallic large flakes as the Pagid.

MB replacement front discs for the ML55 are most affordably sourced from partstrain.com for under $475 for the pair, genuine MB discs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
...A tune of "goo" costs like $16 at the dealer, and its a lifetime supply - Farr had a issue being in Africa and successfully used a substitute.......
Thanks for your post fabbrisd1 - I had been searching for your previous post(s) on the subject, and a picture of the brake paste, with little luck.

I currently have TWO tubes of the stuff (as well as a load of ML55 and C280 parts usually in short supply where I am) on order to arrive just before Christmas.

ps.

Being that I have ordered two tubes of the brake paste, I suppose that means that I am covered for TWO lifetimes!:p

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
You mean brakes, rotors and vented discs? :)

I went back to Merecedes branded brake pads on my fronts, and they squeal and produce a lot of black dust. Never again with Mercedes pads. I will be replacing them with PosiQuiet semi-metallics in a few weeks. I have the PosiQuiets on the rears and they are quiet and produce no dust.

Drilled and vented rotors are a waste of money performance-wise. They are only for show.

DelJ

I was going to replace the front breaks & routers in the spring as I have been looking at vetted disks and think that’s a good way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts