Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in Texas and I recently bought a C300 sports. The dealership told me that breaking in is not necessary for this car but I was wondering if anyone had advice. I have driven 600 miles already and it's always tempting to accelerate whenever I am at a stop. Please share if someone has any knowledge. Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 C280
196 Posts
I answered your query on Edmunds....

Briefly....avoid full throttle, and steady engine speeds for long periods, for the first 1000 miles or so. Keep the rpm below 5k. After 1000 miles, have fun....

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Just finished the break in of our C300W sport; I followed the same procedure as the previous post. Better be sure than sorry.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz C300 luxury, Iridium Silver, Ash Interior w/ P2, MM
32 Posts
Just testing the car, I took it over 5K rpm a couple of times only briefly before 2,000 miles. It is possible I may have compressed some engine parts, but have not noticed any driving difference since buying the car. I am now at 5,200 miles and the car runs the same or better than when I purchased it.

My best guess, don't drive too crazy in the first 2,500 miles. Have fun, but don't redline during this time. Just to be safe, like jrct said, keep it below 5K in the first 1,000 miles. It is hard to do and I doubt a few fun pushes on the engine will hurt your car, but for the most part be gentle the first couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
"compressed some engine parts", what's that?

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz C300 luxury, Iridium Silver, Ash Interior w/ P2, MM
32 Posts
From what I understand, you do not want to run an engine too fast at first as the CAM shafts may not be fully lubricated and thus prone to higher friction.

Due to the "newness" of the engine and its parts, running at high RPMs initially can cause excess heat and friction on the CAM lobes which in turn can affect the overall compression ration of the pistons and give you less performance.

I am not a mechanic or engineer. I just heard this a while back ago and figured it made sense. I could be completely wrong, but the theory of compressing the CAM lobes sounded pretty correct to me.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
I think we will skip the discussion of compressed engine parts. :)

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport 4matic
10 Posts
+1 with the 1000 mile break in. also i read in the manual that you're supposed to keep the driving mode on "C" rather than "S" for the break in period.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts