Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car and have been enjoying it immmensely. The dealer did not mention anything to me about a breakin period. I did notice 1 paragraph around page 170-something saying that the first 1000 miles I should avoid full throttle acceleration. Other than that, nothing.<p>Now as you may have guessed from my posts, I've not been following that to the letter. Did anyone else get a more thorough discussion on the break in procedures from their salesperson?<p><br>By the way, I posted some pix yesterday on the other message board. In response to some other questions, it is Silver with Silver/Charcoal interior. The two tone is absolutely gorgeous, and is a bit darker in person than the pictures suggest. It doesn't look white for real.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll only reply to this if you promise to post-back a reply for once ...

Just joking Aaron (but it is rare for you to reply after someone posts in your direction or in answer to your question)<p>I took delivery of my '01 in NJ, and drove it back to Florida. I varied my speed and never red-lined it, but at delivery my salesman told me that all AMG engines are bench-tested prior to leaving Afalterbach (sp?), and therefore don't need to be broken in. He also said that the real trouble spot in new cars was the transmission: seals that needed to seat properly and moving parts that needed to be broken in slowly ... that's what used to require real attention and adherence to the break-in procedure outlined in the Manual. Now, MB has gone to a totally electronic trani, so transmission problems/break-in isn't necessary. <p>I opened her up when challenged by a M5 at around 900 miles on the odometer. So sue me: the whole deal is under warranty anyway. I know that's a cavalier attitude, but I'm gonna eak every dime of fun out of this car (I even down-shift to reel-in the Beast instead of breaking ... theory being that the transmission and maintenance of it is covered under warranty ... the brake pads are not). <p>Regards,<p>Drew.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: I'll only reply to this if you promise to post-back a reply for once ...

Thanks! I've got about 400 miles on mine now. I'll get to see how it handles in the snow tomorrow, we're supposed to get a few inches tonight in the Detroit area. I did manage to find me an M5 and pulled along side. Inside was a guy with his wife. I looked at him as I flew past, but he didn't take the bait. Must have been scared of his wife!<p>When have I not replied to you before? I've been reading this board fairly regularly in the last 2 weeks. I suppose I might have missed it though. I'll check through the old posts.<p>Confused...Aaron

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you love your Beast ...

Re: 'not replying' ... I'm just busting you on that, but since you asked:<p>On this Board: the time your wife almost bought-it to Philguy & Rich when they congratulated you on your car(Mine Tomorrow Posts). On the other board: when you posted your pics ... not that I'm keeping score or anything!<p>Man, I have too much free time!<p>Glad your a member of the club, Aaron. Sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention. Just playing around.<p>Drew.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Break in Period

Hey Drew,<p>What happened when you challenged the M5? I like to hear other stories from fellow E55 drivers.<p>I own a 2001 E55 (silver/charcoal) and have raced a few Mustangs (Cobras, GT, SVT...whatever they mean it doesn't matter)and a 2001 S4 and blew them all away.<br>I'm dying to race with a 993 or 996 and especially an M5 but haven't had the chance yet. <p>Seeing that I live in Irvine, CA (near Newport Beach), there are many chances for me to find these cars to play with.<p>I did manage to get it up to 145mph after I was going about 80mph at night when a fast moving vehicle was approaching (I thought it might be a CHP so moved over). When the Jaguar XK8 past me going about 100mph, I thought to myself (wife wasn't with me), that maybe I'd test my car out.<br>Then I floored the throttle and boom, the transmission quickly changed to 3rd and the speedometer was rocketing 90...100...110...120...130...at which point I blew past the XK8 ( I don't even think he saw me coming as he was too busy looking ahead)....140...145....at which point I had 2 choices. Time to exit at my off ramp or go faster.<br>Seeing that there was traffic ahead, I decided to go with the first choice and exited.<p>I can tell you that it took no time to get to 145mph and it was still pulling strong.<p>I did think of maybe going to Brabus to get rid of my top speed limiter...(where else can I go for an AMG ECU as AMG is now factory)..and I'm still thinking about it. I read it was about $2500 for that piece of equipment. Will keep you guys informed if I ever get the top speed limiter removed.<p>Anyway, let me know about any driving experiences that you've encountered.....<p>Regards,<br>Edmond<br>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts