Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you recommend for the break in, including a 400 mile drive home from the dealer?

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
Try to vary the revs as much as possible. Don't push the engine to it's limits (read: gearbox, diffs, etc.), but certainly don't pussy drive / baby the engine too much.

·
Registered
2006 E-Class with the "55" Option
46 Posts
Opinions vary on this topic but here are my thoughts:

The engines are tested to simulate track driving around a road course under full acceleration at the factory (learned this watching a one (1) hour Speedvision Special on MB AMG vehicles) after they are built/prior to being installed in the car. Secondly, if you are lucky enough to have a dealer offer a test drive I understand that they bless the entertainment factor of the car. So, here will be my approach when mine arrives sometime over the next few days: I plan to drop the hammer real good through 1st/2nd gear through about 80 mph in third gear. Once the car get's over 500 miles I will run it up in third to about 100. I will do this until 1000 miles then roll it past that (they key point is limit the amount of time the rpm's are really high for longer periods of time like 3rd/4th/5th gears). However, I am struggling with how I will not be able to control myself to about 50 runs from whatever low speed to 120.

Also, a guy from the transport company picked up the car at the dealer and drove it back to where the transport was located - this was a 60 mile drive! I am nuts in thinking the car was not "driven" just a bit. I can only imaging the driver enjoyed himself.

Just a word from the peanut gallery in MN...

Later!

TK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts