Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 05 C230 Kompressor sedan. I love it! Love the color - got all the options I wanted... My first MB, so wonderful... so here's the hard part:

I am religiously trying to follow the break-in period as instructed in the manual. I've been driving like a grandmother, well not really, but I've been in Comfort mode (it's an auto trans) and I've been careful not to get much above 4000 RPM's when accelerating. It's not as fun yet, but I guess it will payoff in performance in the long run... but my question is -- is this true? I am totally willing to sacrifice now for the greater good later... but is it that important? So far, it's got 300 miles... so I guess I waiting for the next 700+.

It should also be noted that not only is this my first MB, it's also my first brand new car. All my others have been at least a year or two old...so this is also my first break in.

Thanks for any insight...

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congtratulations on your new car.

There are two theories about break in. First is do it like the manual says. The other is drive it like you will always drive it. My opinion is that both are correct for different circumstances.

For a street car, I would always follow the manufacturer's recommendations. I believe the second method is best for racing engines which are subject to complete and regular rebuilds.

·
Registered
2005 C230WZ
270 Posts
Congrats on the new car!! I myself followed the manufacturers recommendations of the 1K break in. I now have 1200 miles on and I still havent pounded the car!! I know how you feel with you car so just take it easy on her for a bit! Congrats again on the car!

·
Registered
05' C230 SS
46 Posts
Nice! My twin except for xenons! Where are you from?
I would warn you not to follow the break in too strictly. If you drive it slowly now it will drive slowly forever. Let the engine breath once in a while, get some high speed driving in. Rev it up sometimes but don't hold it there. Try not to hit redline. I believe that cars that are driven quickly but not abused at break in will drive quicker over their lifetime. Your car has a warranty for a reason, if anything breaks it gets fixed. Just drive it like it was meant to be driven on the Autobahn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts