1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Thanks for this site, happy to find it.

So I'd like to here how others have broken in there new SLK350's and how there running now.

I have always broken in a new car gently and varying speeds for the first 1000 miles, until my last new car a 1999 BMW 323i.

Breaking in my 323i, leaving the dealer I "red lined it" and drove it like I normally drive HARD but varying speed for the first 1000 miles. That engine was great no problems at all, can't say that much about the windows though!

Starting the break process of my new SLK 350. First day from the dealer, I drove it in rush hour to my parents house to show it off.

After leaving there, on the way home, theirs this long 30 mile or so stretch of straight and empty highway, I just couldn't resist, first 80mph then 90 then 105 then 115.......WOW upper gears in this car are GREAT!

Am I stupid lol? I don't think so this car was born to run.

Although MB could have done a better job on 1st and 2nd gears IMO (which I knew about before I bought it, test drive revealed that to me, no mention of it in any reviews I read), manual of course! But I still love her!

·
Registered
W116, W126, R170.
217 Posts
Welcome to the site Glenns_SLK350,

Please put your location in the profile when you get a chance.

I picked up my 350 last Tuesday and I said to the dealer, I believe I have to drive the first 1000 ks in (c) comfort mode. He said no enjoy, the engine is broken in at the factory. Drive it as you would normally drive, but don't red-line it of course.

Well I did and it is scary fast, having a great time.

Agent 1 [8D]

·
Registered
237 Posts
Recommended Break In Procedure= Drive it like you stole it.

I have broken in plenty on engines and I have always subscribed to the school of "Break It in like you plan to drive it". Always worked for me. Plus if somethings weak or not right I want to know early in the game.

·
Registered
SLK 350
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Agent 1, enjoy and good luck with your new SLK.

I've had my SLK 2 weeks today have 700 miles on it and have red lines it several times, I just can't help myself.

I'm geting about 19-20mpg.

I think this car is sneaky fast with a lot of power and highway passing is outrageous in any upper gear (manual of course, I don't know how to drive an automatic).

·
Registered
SLK 350
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xJagman - 4/8/2005 8:29 PM

Recommended Break In Procedure= Drive it like you stole it.

I have broken in plenty on engines and I have always subscribed to the school of "Break It in like you plan to drive it". Always worked for me. Plus if somethings weak or not right I want to know early in the game.

YES, lol!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 LE
240 Posts
Spoke to my MB mech friend and he said, "the car is under a 4 year warranty, right? So have fun and we'll fix it if something breaks."

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
25 Posts
I agree guys.

My 55 amg was red lined on day one!! Although only for a second!! I drove it reasonably cafeful up to 500 miles then had some serious fun!! I paid £55000 for my 55 amg which is nearly $100,000!!
I paid the money so I am gonna enjoy it!!
Like you say, if anything breaks its under warranty.
Get out there and enjoy the cars you all worked hard to get!!

My advice is go careful for the first 200 miles while the engine settles in, but no need to drive like Miss Daisy for over a 1000 miles!!

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
One extra bit of advice that I was given many years ago is that it's good for a new engine to go through many heat up and cool down cycles. An engineer told me that it helps to "season" many of the parts. Breaking in a new engine wrong may not break anything but you could wind up with less H.P. and a greater oil consumption in the future.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Duo-Art - 4/9/2005 10:41 AM

One extra bit of advice that I was given many years ago is that it's good for a new engine to go through many heat up and cool down cycles. An engineer told me that it helps to "season" many of the parts. Breaking in a new engine wrong may not break anything but you could wind up with less H.P. and a greater oil consumption in the future.
Also add to that that misuse and abuse (being stupid) is not covered by warrantee. Plus improperly breaking in a drive train WILL cause premature wear and tear that may not show up until later. This will also certainly reduce the life span of the drive train.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 LE
240 Posts
I have a lease for 3 years. Like I really care about long term. By then I will have my next toy, and it too will have a warranty. Unless you own and plan on keeping it past warranty, then have some fun and live a little. I am scientific to a point, can you provide evidence that the 2005 SLK350 or SLK55 will have long term damage? I always hear this rumor, but still see cars with 250,000 miles running around.

Take taxi's for example...I was in one recently that had 350,000 miles, and the driver litterally abused the accelerator and brakes. So, as they say, "I won't believe it until I see it." and by then I won't be in possession of it!

Some of these comments remind me of people who put towels on their seats to protect the seats from damage, it looks terrible, and the only person that benefits is the future owner!

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
RonJeffries - 4/9/2005 4:12 AM

What does the manual say?
This is what's in the manual. I'll have to retype (the pdf is password protected from cut and paste). For SLK350 it does say rpm, but as a ratio of max. Assume this may be because there are different engines in the SLK (just not in the US)?

Operation

The first 1000 miles

The more cautiously you treat your vehicle during the break-in period, the more satisfied you will be with its performance later on.

• Drive your vehicle during the first 1000 miles at varying but moderate vehicle and engine speeds.[/*]
  • During this period, avoid heavy loads (full throttle driving) and excessive engine speeds (no more than 2/3 of maximum rpm in each gear).[/*]
  • Do not attempt to slow the vehicle down by shifting to a lower gear using the gear selector lever. [/*]
  • Shift gears in a timely manner.[/*]
  • Avoid accelerating by kickdown.[/*]
  • Select positions 3, 2, or 1 only driving at moderate speeds (for hill driving).[/*]
  • Select C as the preferred shift program for the first 1000 miles.[/*]
After 1000 miles, you may gradually increase vehicle and engine speeds to the permissible maximum.

Additional instructions for SLK 55 AMG:

• During the first 1000 miles, do not exceed a speed of 85 mph.[/*]
  • During this period, avoid engine speeds above 4500 rpm in each gear.[/*]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts