Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 SE 1991, 300 TE, ARMY JEEP M38A1 1967, Jaguar E-TYPE 1962, Bentley conv 1969
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in buying some ball joints and at

Mercedes Parts - Mercedes Benz Parts - Discount Prices - 1998 Mercedes Benz S320 Ball Joint

They have 4 different direct replacement brands all looking very similar. The price ranges from $47-$101.

Some parts places sell just one brand, the cheapest-Lemfoerder

Other brands shown in descending order:Moog, Mevotech, Beck Arnley

Is there a vendor, other than the dealer, that we can count on to supply very good if not the best brand for reasonable prices?

Is there a list of brands not to buy?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
Jaguar STR-sold,mercedes s500L-sold,c36 amg-sold,s500 coupe-sold,cl420-sold,s320-sold,s280-sold
541 Posts
Hi,
Was facing the same prob.Where to get cheaper parts then dealership.Well be honest as for brakes I chosen Brembo-very good otherwise for every suspension part dealership-prices are not far of and you are 100% sure that they will fit no problems.
As an advise take a part from your merc original one and try to match it visually with any brand you feel is gonna be the best - you will see the difference straight away - I did so.
Hope this will help

·
Registered
1994 Benz S320 SWB / 1986 Porsche 911 Targa / 1998 Benz CL 500
1,290 Posts
I consider Lemförder to be the BEST, its a ZF Company and its been the sole supplier for original BMW and Mercedes steering parts for years.

Through out the years I somehow developed a fixation against some spare part brands, my choices are:

STEERING: Lemförder

SUSPENSION: Boge or Bilstein

FILTERS: Man, Knecht or Mahle

BELTS: Conti or Dyco

ELECTRIC: Bosch, Hella or Behr

COOLING: Behr

SPARK PLUGS: NGK or Bosch

BRAKE PADS: Textar, Jurid

BRAKE DISCS: Brembo and Balo

When seeking spare parts for any of my cars these brands are my priority number one but thats just me:)

Cheers.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
I consider Lemförder to be the BEST, its a ZF Company and its been the sole supplier for original BMW and Mercedes steering parts for years.

Through out the years I somehow developed a fixation against some spare part brands, my choices are:

STEERING: Lemförder

SUSPENSION: Boge or Bilstein

FILTERS: Man, Knecht or Mahle

BELTS: Conti or Dyco

ELECTRIC: Bosch, Hella or Behr

COOLING: Behr

SPARK PLUGS: NGK or Bosch

BRAKE PADS: Textar, Jurid

BRAKE DISCS: Brembo and Balo

When seeking spare parts for any of my cars these brands are my priority number one but thats just me:)

Cheers.

Nice list! :bowdown:

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
FWIW, most of the newly made Behr is coming from China..:(

The last set of W220 Brembo rotors I ordered were China as well...:(

Lemforder does well, but on the LCA's I only use Genuine..the Lemforders aren't machined Exactly like the Genuine and the ball joints sit a bit more proud then on the Real bits.

Also, with ANYTHING rubber go with Genuine.

Jonathan

·
Registered
53 Posts
i agree with that list,but-Discs-ATE,ZIMMERMANN,Belts-CONTITECH or GATES(avoid Dayco-Pirelli,are low quality,and also many faulty).

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s pretty normal to use after market parts that are not OEM to improver performance, especially in the suspension components. Car makers have as much vested into keeping their cost to their subcontractors down and making lower quality parts then after market is pretty standard operating procedure in many areas. They then charge you outrageous prices for their OEM parts giving you the illusion they are better.

This may be true in a few cases but with a little research, you can often do better for less. Suspension components, wipers, tires, sound system, wheel rims, even brake pads and some ignition components…and the list goes on. Body parts especially to improve rust prevention are another area.

One of the most helpful resources to me in replacement parts has been parts people at the dealer. Get on a first name basis with some ( one was a relative) and they can save you lots of money with their referrals. Find all needed automobile parts at boodmo.

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
725 Posts
I'd recommend trying to find vintage new old stock online at affordable prices. original MB or made in USA, Japan, Germany, Euro....avoid Chinese, Mexican, S. American, Asian made parts. If you can...
in the new market current crop of parts I'd recommend MEVOTECH because they have very high QC standards on suspension parts regardless where they're made. they test them extensively before accepting a mfr. to put their name on the box, and sell it. this is providing you buy their BEST ball joint, the ones with the green or blue grease boots. if you buy the cheapest joint you can find, it's junk regardless of which brand, cuz all those are made in China from soft material, or brittle material that sheer in half.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
897 Posts
If you need to replace the front turn signal light assembly, buy a used one. I had two new reproduction lights, fall out on the highway.
The ones from junkyards are about the same price as the new reproductions and they do not fall out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts