Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as some of you know there was quite a few incarnations of this wheel back in the 80's, the most famous being AMG and Penta, most of you would know of a company called Compomotive and some will know they did a version called the MS-1680, same as the penta fitment 8x16 ET11 and obviously 5x112. I am currently in talks with Compomotive and trying to convince / commission them to build these again due to the lack of good ones out there, downside is i have to buy at least 60 sets, but they say if feesable then they will manufacture the correct tooling to make a staggered set with 9x16 ET11 rears.

This thread is basically just a feeler to see what interest i can get on this forum from the USA, i appreciate there are plenty of forums geared at the US market of these classic cars and will in turn post this same thread on their as well, as well as all other markets world wide.

I am just waiting for them to get back to me regarding costings, but aim to be able to supply a non staggered set including delivery to the US for about $900-$1100 and for the staggered set about $150-$250 more, the centres will be either a silver or anthracite with a polished dish.

Here is the exact wheel they produced back in the 80's and will look exactly the same again.

Who would have thought there was a chance you could buy a brand new set of this classic wheel made by one of the oldest and highly reputable classic wheel manufacturers in the UK

I look forward to your thoughts guys

·
Registered
'83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
2,389 Posts
This is really cool but I do not believe there is enough demand for 60 sets. The price is also around the same as a genuine set so it may be hard to justify IMO.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is really cool but I do not believe there is enough demand for 60 sets. The price is also around the same as a genuine set so it may be hard to justify IMO.
i would be hoping to sell 20 sets in a matter of weeks from taking delivery and the remaining 40 sets over the following 6-9 months World Wide

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also bearing in mind i very easily sell between 18-25 sets of used penta's or their different incarnations a year and some sets fetch more then what a new set would cost today

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Forged or cast?

Are you in the UK, Fullhouse? PM me when you get a moment, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
I am 100% interested, especially at that cost...I am just afraid that this deal will take too long to put together and I will have purchased wheels by the time it is ready as I am actively looking now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am 100% interested, especially at that cost...I am just afraid that this deal will take too long to put together and I will have purchased wheels by the time it is ready as I am actively looking now.
I have just purchased a set of 4 Genuine AMG Generation 2 wheels. 8 x 16 and ET11 all round, i think delivered to the USA will be about $1150 or a touch less, if your interested PM me, They will be delivered tomorrow and will post up in the classifieds in the next day or 2, cheers

·
Registered
1985 300E US Champagne, 1978 280SE Euro Milan Brown Metallic, Gen1 1985 500 SEC Euro Paget Red
105 Posts
These are desirable for almost all models from 71-91, so I don't see how they can lose. Compomotive street wheels are generally around $250 each, maybe a little more depending on options.

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
This is really cool but I do not believe there is enough demand for 60 sets. The price is also around the same as a genuine set so it may be hard to justify IMO
No problems with porus alloy ,untrue wheels and bad repairs not to mention readilly available 9" wides makes these wheels totally justifiable IMO
The only way for this to work is for OP to have the sets made, take the gamble fronting the capital and reap the rewards of taking the bull by the horns
Group buys never happen people like to buy a product that exists now not one that may if enough people put in .....

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Agreed with JoeSec, it won't work as a group buy, but if you have them made and the price is what you say, you shouldn't have any problem getting rid of them. It may take a year or two, but if you market them well they will sell. I'm broke as hell but I would probably have to liquidate part of my "down payment on a house" fund for a set of these.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problems with porus alloy ,untrue wheels and bad repairs not to mention readilly available 9" wides makes these wheels totally justifiable IMO
The only way for this to work is for OP to have the sets made, take the gamble fronting the capital and reap the rewards of taking the bull by the horns
Group buys never happen people like to buy a product that exists now not one that may if enough people put in .....
Thanks for the feedback so far guys, i generally sell 18-25 set of all variations of these wheels in any given year, so the demand is out there. this thread was merely just to get people's feedback and opinions, for which i am truely great full, i am 95% sure this will go ahead, subject to the final costings (awaiting from Compomotive) so please bear with me.

from the time of placing the order the 8x16 set tup will be available in 5/6 weeks and the staggered set up will be an extra 6/8 weeks as they need to make new tooling and casts.

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,811 Posts
There are a fair # of original 8x16 ET11 five spoke wheels on the market. The tough wheels to find are the 9x16 ET0 (AMG) or ET11 (Penta brand) so people have the "staggered" setup.

However, before you invest big $$ in making any 9" wheels, just understand that the availablility of 16" tires is dwindling. There are many options for 225-50-16 tires for the 8x16 wheels, but only 1-2 options available for tires that would fit the 9" rear wheels. This will severely limit the ability to sell staggered sets. I have 8"/9" original AMG wheels on my SEL and there is really only one choice available for tires (225-50-16 fronts and 245-45-16 rears) and these tires "ain't very good".

I applaud your desire and efforts, but please be aware that current and future tire options will impact your ability to market these wheels, in addition to the desire of most people to find and buy original AMG wheels instead of clones (albeit nice clones). The Porsche crowd has the same problem with the 1980's 911's and 930's with staggered Fuchs wheels - tire choices are almost gone for the 9" sizes.

Al

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are a fair # of original 8x16 ET11 five spoke wheels on the market. The tough wheels to find are the 9x16 ET0 (AMG) or ET11 (Penta brand) so people have the "staggered" setup.

However, before you invest big $$ in making any 9" wheels, just understand that the availablility of 16" tires is dwindling. There are many options for 225-50-16 tires for the 8x16 wheels, but only 1-2 options available for tires that would fit the 9" rear wheels. This will severely limit the ability to sell staggered sets. I have 8"/9" original AMG wheels on my SEL and there is really only one choice available for tires (225-50-16 fronts and 245-45-16 rears) and these tires "ain't very good".

I applaud your desire and efforts, but please be aware that current and future tire options will impact your ability to market these wheels, in addition to the desire of most people to find and buy original AMG wheels instead of clones (albeit nice clones). The Porsche crowd has the same problem with the 1980's 911's and 930's with staggered Fuchs wheels - tire choices are almost gone for the 9" sizes.

Al
Hi Al, thanks for the very informative reply, appreciate this alot.
the tires 245 45 16 is quite readily available in the UK and with makes to choose from like Nexen, Khumo, Fulda, Toyo, Michelin XGT and Continental, so there are options here and i can happily supply and fit these for people at cost

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts

Al
Al,

FWIW -- BFG G Force Sports are back in supply in several 16" sizes including 245/50/16 and 255/50/16 (sizes spec'd by AMG for 9J/10J five spoke road wheels). IMO they are a good tire option at a fair price

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2 Tire Test - Motor Trend

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 Provides Great Improvements - Alex's Automotive Performance guide | Tire Rack

BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 | CraveOnline

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
Al,

FWIW -- BFG G Force Sports are back in supply in several 16" sizes including 245/50/16 and 255/50/16 (sizes spec'd by AMG for 9J/10J five spoke road wheels). IMO they are a good tire option at a fair price

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2 Tire Test - Motor Trend

BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 Provides Great Improvements - Alex's Automotive Performance guide | Tire Rack

BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 | CraveOnline
These tyres are also alternatives

50/50% Street/Track use

30/70% Street/Track use

100% Track use

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,811 Posts
I can't run 245-50-16's - too big for sedan rear fenders even with rolling.

Al

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,240 Posts
Wish you all the best with this endeavor!

For Reference:

AMG ATS Five Spoke Road Wheels 8JX16 et11:

UK manufactured Penta 8JX16 et11:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wish you all the best with this endeavor!

For Reference:

AMG ATS Five Spoke Road Wheels 8JX16 et11:

UK manufactured Penta 8JX16 et11:

Am pretty sure the compomotive version is very close to, if not identical to the Penta, which means longer spokes and thinner secondary dish.

Both are stunning in their own right, but the Compomotive will be a better made wheel then the Penta, better quality metal and finish

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
I would be interested in 1-2 sets my self!! Count on me

1 - 20 of 22 Posts