Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you've heard all these questions a hundred times before, but I could not get the search to work, it kept telling me I did not have the 3 word min.??? (any thoughts???)

I just took delivery on a 2001 E320 Wagon. It has the BOSE system with a 6CD changer and no tape deck. The head unit does have a button for "tape"

Anyhow here are my questions:
1. If there is a tape button, does this mean my head unit has line-ins on the back for a separate tape deck that I could use as a line-in for my iPod?
2. If so, how do I take of the trim panel to get access to the unit?
3. If I want to add a sub, can I tap into the power that goes to the CD changer in the back of the car?
4. If I can't hardwire my iPod, is this head unit upgradeable to aftermarket? Some quick reading showed that my BOSE system probably uses a separate amplifier, so an aftermarket head unit would only connect with Preamp outs?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,425 Posts
I'm sure you've heard all these questions a hundred times before, but I could not get the search to work, it kept telling me I did not have the 3 word min.??? (any thoughts???)

I just took delivery on a 2001 E320 Wagon. It has the BOSE system with a 6CD changer and no tape deck. The head unit does have a button for "tape"

Anyhow here are my questions:
1. If there is a tape button, does this mean my head unit has line-ins on the back for a separate tape deck that I could use as a line-in for my iPod?
2. If so, how do I take of the trim panel to get access to the unit?
3. If I want to add a sub, can I tap into the power that goes to the CD changer in the back of the car?
4. If I can't hardwire my iPod, is this head unit upgradeable to aftermarket? Some quick reading showed that my BOSE system probably uses a separate amplifier, so an aftermarket head unit would only connect with Preamp outs?

thanks in advance!
You are from the US? Which head unit do you have? Your owner's manual should explain that COMAND does not have a tape drive but an AUX connector at the glove box.

Once you learn to use the search feature, you will find posts explaining how the HU is removed.

The CD changer wire is not dimensioned for the current an amplifier would take (not enough to change the fuse, and if you did, you would not have sufficient protection for the changer, just rewire from the rear SAM or similar).

After market isn't straightforward on a car with D2B fibre bus but this one still should have analog copper wire connection from the HU to the Bose amp which makes it more feasible.

And the search issue is not about the minimum number of words but the minimum number of characters per word:
"The search term you specified (xy) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer."

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After looking more closely I realized that I do have an indash cassette player, (behind the face) this means I do NOT have the Command system, is this correct? It looks like hooking up a subwoofer would be quite easy just by using the aux power supply that's already in the trunk (remember this is a wagon). But I am most concerned with getting my ipod signal into my Head Unit. I've looked briefly at the ice/dennison stuff. Is that my only option with this model? Is it correct that the signals from the CD changer are carried via fiber optic cable?

thanks again.

p.s. I'm going to mess around with the search some more, but it seems weird to only be able to search for words with more than 3 letters.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
On my 01 E wagon, the cassete resides behind the display, what you have in the wheel well is the CD changer in the rear rack, you might have some of the electronics for the CTEL, and some of the electronics for Tel Aid, I dont think the amp resides there, it might be under the rear seat. I know the GPS receiver is under the seat.
There is a fiber loop that starts at the radio D2B master, the phone comp1, voice recognition comp2, changer comp3 ,telaid comp3, and back to the radio in a daisy link chain.
The chain can be reconfigured but it requires the MB body computer, the car shipped configured to accept the changer without modification, except if command was installed then the configuration would have to be changed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts