Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
r107, r129, w198, w123, w124, w210
116 Posts
Ran a carfax, it came back with a title that was exempt from odometer reporting, with an Illinois title. Car seems fishy

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
there was a lot of text in that ad -- if it's not legit, he certainly came up with an elaborate backstory.

kinda reminds me of our old friend hoover. does anyone remember that guy? he would post here from time to time trying to sell a w126 that he was way too enamored with. i wonder what happened to hoover and his benz.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ran a carfax, it came back with a title that was exempt from odometer reporting, with an Illinois title. Car seems fishy
I thought it was a strange listing also.

Regarding the odometer exempt part- that part could be legitimate. My 1991 SEL was originally titled by the "snowbirds" that owned it in Michigan. Once it hit ten years of age it became mileage exempt on the title. I have repair records/bills/etc. that indicate to me that my current mileage of 66,000 is legitimate, and the compression test/PPI inspection by Mercedes mechanic also concurred. The good thing for me is that my car was still driven at least once a week so the seals all seem fine and everything still works for the most part.

Last year I rescued an old 1977 240D with low miles that had sat around for the better part of the last decade without being driven. When I got it running again it leaked oil from EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!! I am not as enamored with "garage queens" anymore. I'd rather find a really clean one with reasonably low miles that was still driven occasionally!

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
The "bidders" could be the sellers personal friends driving up the bid so some sucker will fall into a trap. This looks like a scam to me. The car could be real, but it is not nearly as nice as the new car pictured in the brochure and the mileage on these is easily altered. Just put in a new speedometer or swap the entire instrument cluster. Now that the car is odometer reading exempt, it will be difficult to find what the true mileage really is.

I would think that anyone willing to pay $ 20k + for a n '82 300SD is a fool. Several years ago I came across a one owner '82 300SD here in Florida. He wanted $ 11.5k for the car and it had original 30k miles on it and it was mint. I saw the real car with my own eyes, because he parked in front of the MB dealership where it was being serviced. I thought the selling price was a bit high for an '82 300 SD so I did not buy it. And that's half of what this character on eBay wants for his. And as mentioned, that 30k miles car was probably in better shape as it was driven regularly at least once every two weeks.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
nice example for sure but will not fetch $30K. maybe half of that amount at best. Had the car been a 3K mile SEC then I would be calling him.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts