Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,850 Posts
Only 3000 miles, supposedly.

I interpret that to mean that anything and everything rubber has pretty much dry rotted from door seals to tie rods, ball joints, all bushings, exhaust, motor & tranny mounts, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention the whole cooling system will need to be overhauled.

The worst thing to do to a diesel is let it sit (they're meant to be driven long distances), which means that this thing will probably leak like a sieve on the first trip provided the fuel system and injectors are still in tip top shape (doubt it). At a minimum, the fuel systems needs to be torn down, and all fuel removed, followed by brand new fuel hoses/filters head to stern, tank removed for cleaning, etc, etc, etc.. Hopefully the old diesel fuel hasn't turned into a sea of algae, but it is very likely that it has.

Still grappling with the same issues on my '95 E300 diesel which I bought with only 50K on the clock. 6 months and $10K later (not including the price of the car), the restoration is almost done and the car is now starting to feel new again now that it's getting regular use.

I'm husslin' to get the full suspension and steering rebuilt before the holidays to complete the restoration.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The books and papers look legit (very impressive) but I agree we’re not seeing the actual car. I sent the seller a message asking about the pics. :)

The worst thing to do to a diesel is let it sit (they're meant to be driven long distances), which means that this thing will probably leak like a sieve on the first trip provided the fuel system and injectors are still in tip top shape (doubt it). At a minimum, the fuel systems needs to be torn down, and all fuel removed, followed by brand new fuel hoses/filters head to stern, tank removed for cleaning, etc, etc, etc.. Hopefully the old diesel fuel hasn't turned into a sea of algae, but it is very likely that it has.
Yep.

Unless it was mothballed somehow with an empty tank in a climate-controlled garage or the like – highly doubtful.

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 1983 300SD, 2008 GL450
904 Posts
And unless the engine was drained and everything coated with cosmoline everything inside has corroded solid.

·
Registered
1995 E320 (totalled) 91 420SEL W126 (retired) 2002 S500 W220(retired); 2008 C300 Sport W204
662 Posts
I think this guy is blowing smoke!! Not to mention that he acted "insulted" when asked about ACTUAL pictures. If he wanted to sell it he would be more than willing to disclose pictures. ALso a picture of the VIN Number clearly shown so you can verify that the paper work pictures match. He won't take pictures of it because he probably has to PUSH it onto the driveway, or he doesn't even have a car to sell!! I agree that the diesels need to be run at least once a week.
This is a obvoius scam.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
The problem not mentioned, in addition to the above is the conundrum that with every additional mile driven, the car will lose value.

So do you want it in a collection as a show car, or as a daily driver?

Someone should call the Mercedes Benz Classic Center USA in Irvine CA and ask them about how this should be approached.

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2007 S550
1,350 Posts
The fact that the guy is making excuses for not taking pictures of the car, saying "no buy it now price" but then having a reserve, combined with how the picture looks like a brochure to me scream scam

Then there's the fact that the guy only has 30 feedback... out of that he has only sold 7 clothing items... jeans, coats, etc. Then all of the sudden a 3,000 mile 1982 car?

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Only 3000 miles, supposedly.

I interpret that to mean that anything and everything rubber has pretty much dry rotted from door seals to tie rods, ball joints, all bushings, exhaust, motor & tranny mounts, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention the whole cooling system will need to be overhauled.

Still grappling with the same issues on my '95 E300 diesel which I bought with only 50K on the clock. 6 months and $10K later (not including the price of the car), the restoration is almost done and the car is now starting to feel new again now that it's getting regular use.

I'm husslin' to get the full suspension and steering rebuilt before the holidays to complete the restoration.
And the entire climate control system will need to be overhauled - at least new compressor, hoses, most likely new condenser and evaporator, which is an expensive job.

·
Registered
1985 300SD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Maybe he's not a scammer. He has another auction for a 1.75 million dollar Chinese palace in Omaha...

Looks like he did all right in the inheritance, A mint SD and a Chinese palace!

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,850 Posts
Has anybody noticed that somehow there are 2 owner's manuals plus the owner's manual addendum? I'm fairly sure that's not the way the documentation on these cars came (i.e. 1 owner's manual plus addendum).

The VIN is WDBCB20A4CB020657. Somebody should CarFax it to see what it comes back with. Might be interesting if it gets flagged for unusually low mileage.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I believe it's the real deal, as quirky as it is. Seriously.

I sent him an offer of $40K for the car, as long as he includes the Chinese mansion in the deal at that price.

I am trying to hide from the authorities, so I figured a green 1982 3K mile MB diesel and an eight zillion square foot Chinese mansion in the middle of freaking nowhere in Nebraska should allow me to disappear completely from the law. No one will notice, they have tons of those things in Nebraska, right?

·
Registered
1987 420SEL
1,133 Posts
This is why I love fleabay; it's such a joke. I'm more interested in the actual brochure.

Interesting combination, a chinese palace and a diesel W126. Certainly on entirely different ends of the spectrum in terms of build quality.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The seller’s reply to my message:

(oh, brother…)

The car appears exactly as the car in the photos, even though thie car in the photos is not this same car. It is from the sales brochure. Please read my replies to other questions for more details on this, thanks.
As an aside, any car, gas or diesel, will atrophy if not run regularly.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
He's willing to risk his 100% ebay rating. Note that nothing on there was sold for over $68.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,962 Posts
If you take a look at the bidding history you will see 2 bidders with (0) and (2) feedbacks have been bidding on it to reach the $20,000 mark.
As of now Auction ended with $30,100 and the Reserve was not met.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts