Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
'00 slk230k (engine swap), '75 300D, 2011 GTI
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya know i was lookin around and I cant seem to find it.. but since I've been unemployed, I'm thinkin about doing the Rotor swap myself since I have plenty of time now..

Anyone have the directions on how to change out brake rotors? Or the link to it?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts

·
Registered
PROUD OWNER! 2002 slk32 AMG
1,505 Posts
it helps to have a rubber hammer or dead blow hammer as the rotors tend to get rust between the mount space and the hub. a couple good blows on the bolt pattern should break them free.
are you replacing them or turning them? oreillys auto parts turned my rotors (all4) for about 42$ including turning the ebrake side

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced them with ATE slotted rotors. The calipers are ATE as well, but thats the OEM caliper.

It was an easy job, for the most part i winged it... called my indy to make sure I wouldn't damage the E-brake when takin off the back rotors.. ill upload pics as soon as i eat lunch and shower...

In all it took 3 hours. I did it alone and this was my first time doing a brake system alone w/out anyone to watch!

So pics to come in about an hour

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
If you want you may find some usefulness from the DIY I did on the 210, parts and procedures are quite similar, there are some pics as well. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1278146-diy-brakes-pictures.html

Rather than swinging away with a hammer I'd suggest a large crescent to help break the rotor loose, that's described in the thread. When I changed mine I also put a very thin layer of synthetic grease on the hub to cut down on the adhesion for the next time...which is coming up later this year. ;)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
it helps to have a rubber hammer or dead blow hammer as the rotors tend to get rust between the mount space and the hub. a couple good blows on the bolt pattern should break them free.
are you replacing them or turning them? oreillys auto parts turned my rotors (all4) for about 42$ including turning the ebrake side
krazy, MB does not have a spec for turning rotors, their spec is replace, not resurface. As inexpensive as these (non AMG) rotors are and as short a life as they have anyway, it's not a big deal to just replace them.

A couple good blows...yours weren't stuck that badly. Mine took quite a bit of convincing, I was very, very close to the torch method on two of them. But then my car started life in upstate NY with salt etc., the corrosion was pretty significant and I'm sure that contributed to it.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
i have the amg rotors and oreillys had the spec in their computer. they mic'ed the rotors and turned them with no issues

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Any rotor can be turned, but whether or not it's worth the effort is the real question.

As gregs210 mentions it is far more typical to replace than to turn and reuse, but as always, it's up to the owner to determine what's best for both him or her and their pocketbook... :D

Another question might be, will the turned disc last as long as the new replacement pads that have just gone on, will the discs still meet minimum spec when the current pads are worn out.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
i will not attempt to turn these disks again. it was a cost factor as i spent close to 1000$ for the complete fluid flush posted on here. hopefully i can get 30k out of these pads and rotors then ill replace both with new. as a side note im extremely happy with akebono euro pads. no dust no squeal and great grabbing power!
with only 40k on the original rotors there was a large amount of rotor left. these brakes werent abused no gouges or deep grooves all they really needed was a cleaning turn to clean up some rough edges left by the factory pads. factory rotors were running about 370$ and the drilled rotors were 334$. so for now im happy with the results

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Keep in mind, nobody said it can't be done, just that it's not the best idea. If you are in a bind for funds, it may be your only choice.
The bottom line is that less mass in the disc can lead to a warping disc sooner than a thicker disc, they just can't take the heat as well... ;)

·
1998 SLK 230
2,599 Posts
ah i have the same discs! the ATE powerdisc..... i also combined em with the ATE powerpad... hardly any dust and they stop very well. even after a few good hard stops

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Subby.. you know then what it feels like... i tested them to make sure it was properly working and I've never stopped that fast in any vehicle and not squeeled the tires.

Also subby, you like the ATE pads alot? how much are they about?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts