Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 S550 4Matic
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I know for a fact that I need to buy brand new front brake pads and possibly rear as well I have 32,000 miles and have never changed them and I am starting to here squeeking when I break but I still dont see the brake light coming on. But just in case I want to order the pads and have them ready for when the light does come on.

Can you guys please tell me what is the best option for the pads rather then buying them from the dealer, is there a better pad then factory?maybe less brake dust? If so please let me know what kind and where I can order them from

Thank you
Savas K.

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
No matter what BRAND of pads you buy, Make SURE that they are a CERAMIC PAD, NOT METALIC, NOT SEMI-METALIC, NOT ORGANIC!!!!! The new Ceramic pads are almost dust free, stop as well or better as OEM and if bought correctly, can save you money to BOOT!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2010 S550 4Matic
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so I will get ceramic, Do you know where i can order them from and do they come with the sensors?

Also Has anyone ever changed the pads themselves? is it just like changing on any other car or am I going to need different tools to get the old pads off?>

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
Many different places have them, Napa, Car Quest, TIRE RACK, They are a little different than an American car, But still easy to change, The sensors do not come with the pads and are not much money, If you get them done before they get to the sensor, you can re-use the sensor. You will need Metric tools though!!! Good Luck!!!

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
find a dealer for Mintex pads ... do not settle for anything less

(TireRack does not sell Mintex products so I can't give you a price for them)

·
Registered
208 Posts
You will need metric sockets and possible allens or torx bits. Do you know if you need rotors? If you are only doing pads the rear may be possible to replace without removing the caliper and all you will need is a punch to push out the pins and a small pry bar to push in the pistons.

ok so I will get ceramic, Do you know where i can order them from and do they come with the sensors?

Also Has anyone ever changed the pads themselves? is it just like changing on any other car or am I going to need different tools to get the old pads off?>

·
Registered
2010 S550 4Matic
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mintex only makes for the front so i would have to buy different for the rear, I dont think i need rotors

·
Registered
04 E320
11 Posts
Hey guys! I have a 04 E320 and I noticed the other day that a message popped up saying " break wear, get serviced" or something like that. I haven't heard any squeeking of the breaks at all. When getting new pads would I have to change out the rotors as well or have them resurfaced? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
C320 sportwagon
15 Posts
Went to the dealer today, little squeeky brakes and funny grinding front when car is cold.
he called me back and stated I need new front brakes and rotors. the answer why I need new rotors was that mercedes rotors are soft and it would be "unethical" not to change them.
Another rip off?
He also stated i need brake fluid flush.
Set back of aroud 1200 bucks plus tax.

The actual reason I brought it to the dealer was an a/c thats not working. Extended warranty almost running out, however, I need to pay for refilling freon if no defect was found.

Whats your opinion on this one/ I know I am in Jersey not in Germany....BUT..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know that David Michel in Freehold service department is rippoff. THey told me that I needed the brake pads and rotors 6000 miles before the brake light came on (warning indicator to replace pads).

Also they told me I needed new 4 tires. Then I took my car to couple tire dealers and it had about 8/32 thread left and they said I could easily drive anywhere from 4-7K miles.

I guess servicre managers get their commission based on how much service revenue they get!!.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts