Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for me to change the brake oil and pads myself?
I only have experience in carrying out some very simple tasks on my car (e.g. changing engine oil) and had never touched on the brakes...

Would anyone please tell me the tools I would need and which brake oil should I use? Also, should I use stock brake pads or go for better ones?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
Tools:

1. Jack and wrench (obviously.)
2. 13mm ring wrench (to undo the sliding half of the brake caliper.)
3. a strong screwdriver (to compress the pistons to make room for the new pads - stick it between the pad and the rotor and pull! Watch the tank on the brake pump for fluid overflow.)
4. 19mm socket wrench, 1/2 extension and ratchet (to undo the two 19mm bolts that hold the caliper on the steering knuckle.)
5. 5mm hex key (to undo the little bolt retaining the rotor to the hub.)
6. 10mm ring wrench (to undo the brake wear sensor holder.)
7. 8mm ring wrench (you may need to blead the calipers after you're done, but that's only if you opt to flush the old fluid.)
8. small impact screwdriver and ball peen hammer (to drive out the pins holding the rear brake pads in place.)
9. a big pot of hot tea (or a six-pack of beer - non-alcoholic [:D])
10. a helper (to pump the brake pedal while you bleed the system and serve the beverage - preferably someone you don't feel guilty about knocking around [:eek:)])

Parts (prices in Saudi riyals, 1$=3.75 SR):
1. new brake pads (150 Saudi riyals front, 80 riyals rear)
2. brake wear sensors (two for front, about 20 riyals)
3. brake rotors (front ones ventilated after 1987, about 170 riyals for Mahle aftermarket; rears, I have no idea.)
4. new bolts all around (not really necessary, but it's good practice to use the new bolts supplied with the pads.)
5. rear break pins (not really necessary, but... see above.)
6. at least eight cans of DOT 4 brake fluid (four to flush the old fluid, four to refill the system. I used Castrol. Make sure you get DOT 4, not DOT 3.)
7. good luck.

Hope this helps,
Shady

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
What year and model are you talking about?
W124's used a few different types of calipers over the years. I would definitely use Pentosin brake fluid and Textar or Pagid pads all O.E.

·
Registered
'96 sl500, 87 300td
134 Posts
Since you are changing the brakes, install drilled & slotted rotors and high performance pads. You will love the differance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts