Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 560 SL
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wifes backs out her 2007 C230 in the driveway, the brakes squeal (which is imbarrasing considering the car). We do notice this happens more when it is cooler outside (live in Florida, so it doesn't get that cold here. She had to take the car in for the free tire check at the MB dealership today. They told her that the squeal is normal. So basically I am thinking that if I test drive all 2007 C230's on there lot, most will do the same. That is BS. I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee with 170k miles on it and it doesn't squeal. Any ideas to get this fixed or address correctly? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
If you bring it in under warranty they should fix it and just because it's common for there cars doesn't make it right ( tell him 1000 wrongs do not make a right). My car, 2004.5 C230 with 30K miles has never squealed and I consider that normal.

·
Registered
88 560 SL
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Brake Squeal

I just off the phone with the service manager and he is going to check with the tech who looked at the brakes today and call me back. But he was trying to tell me that since it is a floating caliper, that with light pressure, the pads will shift lightly and make the squeal. I just don't believe that MB would consider that normal. Who would spend good $ on a car that does that. They would re-engineer the brake system to fix that, right?:mad: :mad: :mad: Update, he just called and said that with the semi-metallic pads and the moisture and heat in Florida, it's going to happen. He wants me to monitor the squeak and give update when we do service A (6600 miles on it now, so that will be a few mths away). Any advise?

·
Registered
2017 GLC 300 4Matic fully loaded... but for the heated steering wheel. Stupid previous owner! 😠
1,147 Posts
Don't have much advice, but, what I do know is, my car has slight squeek once in a while, and it really doesn't bother me. Maybe the wife needs to turn up the music a little! ;-)

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
what dealer did you go to?

Anyway, does this noise only happen when you release the brake pedal? I have had a few 203's with the complaint of brake squeal when backing up and as mentioned above, the shifting of the pads in the calipers causes the squeaking. yes its normal. again this is when going in reverse.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Coupe
76 Posts
brentkhack said:
I just off the phone with the service manager and he is going to check with the tech who looked at the brakes today and call me back. But he was trying to tell me that since it is a floating caliper, that with light pressure, the pads will shift lightly and make the squeal. I just don't believe that MB would consider that normal. Who would spend good $ on a car that does that. They would re-engineer the brake system to fix that, right?:mad: :mad: :mad: Update, he just called and said that with the semi-metallic pads and the moisture and heat in Florida, it's going to happen. He wants me to monitor the squeak and give update when we do service A (6600 miles on it now, so that will be a few mths away). Any advise?
Noisy brakes is common on many European cars. And like Buellwinkle said, just because it' common doesn't mean it's right. In Europe the engineers focus more on brake performance and brake feel than noise, so their pad material is selected accordingly. In the US, the market is different, so the brake engineers (ie - me) focus more on noise and less on performance.

Probably 95% of cars on the road have floating calipers. They don't all make noise. It's likely that the semi-metallic pads and the moisture are probably the source of the problem. But most cars on the road have semi-met pads too. I would ask for a new set of pads and a proper burnish procedure to see if helps. Ask if there's a different pad option or if there's a pad insulator that MB has offered as a cheap fix.

- Jason

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 2007 has just started doing this as well, I have 9500... :mad: :mad:

I live in Houston, so same heat and humidity you have in FL.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Just a couple of general thoughts...

Disk brakes are designed to work primarily in the forward direction, and since they are engineered that way, when you back up they do shift and are more likely to create noise.

Typically such noise would be even more pronounced when the brakes are cold, which would certainly include backing out of the driveway first thing in the morning.

Short trip driving also compounds this issue.

In humid climates more oxidation/corrosion occurs on the rotor surface, and as this is transmitted into the pads it is more likely to cause them to squeal. New pads will resolve this issue, but only for a time. You could also periodically clean the pads, but the same holds true: the deposits will return and with them, the noise. You could try replacing the pads with a different compound instead of the fairly soft stock pads, but your dealer isn't going to do that under warranty.

You could also switch to slotted rotors. Again, the dealer is not going to do this under warranty, but such rotors will clean your pads as you use the brakes. Of course, this also means your pads wear out quite a bit sooner.

In the end, the dealer is basically correct. While all the brand-new cars on the lot aren't going to do that, once they've been driven and owned under similar circumstances they are all going to do that.

Thus, pretty much the only time the dealer is going to be concerned is if you have noise all the time, not just backing up in the morning, since that is not normal.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Porsche disc brakes didn't sqeal when backing up - ever.

My Lexus disc brakes didn't squeal when backing up - ever.

My Totoya disc brakes didn't squeal when backing up - ever.

But, this is a Mercedes, and it is "normal". Yeah, right....

This car has already had more problems, in 9500 miles, than my last Lexus did in 95k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Miami and the squeal only happened when i backup on my 07 c230 ss. I took it to the dealer and they took care of it. they said it was pads had to be lubricated? dont know a lot about breaks so im not sure what part it was. after that my brakes stop to squeal.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Coupe
76 Posts
temilo said:
I live in Miami and the squeal only happened when i backup on my 07 c230 ss. I took it to the dealer and they took care of it. they said it was pads had to be lubricated? dont know a lot about breaks so im not sure what part it was. after that my brakes stop to squeal.
They likely greased the contact between the pad's backing plate and the caliper bracket's pad clips. The pad slides back and forth on these clips as it moves to and from the rotor. If it's sticky or rusty it won't move away from the rotor causing a dragging noise, or uneven pressure on the rotor (causing any variety of sounds).

·
Registered
2003 C240
46 Posts
My 2003 c240 has a horrible brake squeal. I bought it in sept 06 with 34k mileage. I took it to a mb dealer other than the one I bought it from. They pulled the wheels and said the pads were new and the squeal was normal. I bought it certified used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts