Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 C240 4matic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 C240 4 matic. I think the stock brakes are semi metallic. When the pads start wearing down do the sensors let you know via the dash board? Also, what are some thoughts on putting on ceramic vs. semi metallic. I want to put on the best pads I can for this car.

Thanks

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
You'll find a mix of opinions.

It's not as though MB didn't use quality brakes. You won't improve braking performance by going to a hard (ceramic) pad. The primary reason people go to those (Akebono is a very popular brand) is because they greatly reduce brake dust. They'll wear out your rotors a bit faster, too.

IIRC you have one sensor on each front wheel; when the pad wears to it, you'll get a warning/alert in the MFD. However, brake checks are part of the scheduled services and I typically suggest you take a quick look when you're rotating your tires.

Hope that helps. Browse the C-Class forums for more info on what folks are using. But all you'll do is spend more, you won't have better brakes. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
2003 C240 4matic
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the response! I will just stick with the semi metallic then. I don't mind the brake dust at all. The car is always kept clean so no big deal. Do y'all recommend getting the Mercedes Benz brand or is it OK to get a good after market pad?

Thanks,

Casey

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
899 Posts
Greg is right...

my car in Europe had harder pads on it nad
1 - The rotors got hot fast and the brakes fadded.
2 - The rotors wraped from the heat of the harder pads.

I now use only MB parts, including brake fluid.

B

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts