Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300SE Black/Black
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got this 1993 300SE. About 12 months ago I replaced both front rotors and brake pads. Withing 1 month, the brakes started squealing so loud that you could hear the car coming around the corner. Since I've had some financial set backs, money is tight now. So I replaced the brakes pads. Nothing. The squeal happens on the final phase of the braking, saying from 50 yards to a stop and it is LOUD! Very LOUD! IT changes a bit when it rains or if the rotors are wet but not my much. I never had the rotors turned or anything. Now I don't know what to do. Do I change the rotors, the calipers?
I am wondering if the spindle might be a little too loose? Would that cause this horrible squeal? If anyone has had any experience with this, please post how you fixed it. This is so embarrassing for a mercedes and I am afraid it won't pass state inspection now. The old pad weren't even wore out! Both sides squeal badly!
The most embarrassing moment is ordering food at drive-thrus, you can hear my car from the orde sign all the way to the drive thru window. I just want my old car back!:bowdown:

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,095 Posts
Did you apply brake pad paste to the edges of the pads before installing?? I recommend using only the MB product. You can buy a small pack of it for only a few bucks.

The "edge" I am speaking of is the BACKING PLATE, not the actual "pad" itself. Place a thin coat along the SHORT DIMENSIONS of the backing plate (where it moves withing the caliper).

See if this helps.

·
Registered
1993 300SE
94 Posts
I have the same car and the exact same problem. I've gotten some great deals on pads but I can tell you... I now only buy MB pads. The others I've used squeel like mad. I've even applied the stop squeel paste, etc., but she still did it. So $90 from MB and it immediatly solved my problem.

·
Registered
W639 Vito 110 CDI; Ponton 220S; VW Phaeton V10 tdi; 1995 S500 ex diplomatic car (gone)
574 Posts
Apply the paste to the sliding edge, but also to the back where the piston presses.

·
Registered
1993 300SE Black/Black
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried the paste. No good. I've bought two sets of pads. No good, except they weren't from MB...

$109 for a set of pads at local dealership. Should I try that? I can be heard from a mile away and I am starting to scare school children when I slow down for the crossing guard!

·
Registered
W639 Vito 110 CDI; Ponton 220S; VW Phaeton V10 tdi; 1995 S500 ex diplomatic car (gone)
574 Posts
Failing that, find a good hilly twisty road and beat 'em up a bit to really bed them in. Some pads can glaze up really easily.

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,885 Posts
Failing that, find a good hilly twisty road and beat 'em up a bit to really bed them in. Some pads can glaze up really easily.

Indeed - when I had mine done, thanks to the constant braking required on the windy Tokyo expressway + the concentraded summer heat - mine quietened down in just a day :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts