Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys. I bought a Mercedes Benz 190E 1992 (not sure if it's 1.8L or 2.0L cause the VIN says 1.8, but the guy I bought it from says it's a 2.0L)

Anyways. It's a bit of a project car, you could say. I haven't driven it since I took it off his property, I've just been starting it regularly to keep the battery alive and well. When I go to start it, it kinda dies a little then starts. It can be compared to an old man with a really bad cough from smoking.

So, yesterday I replaced all the brakes and brake drums, and today when I go to start it for the first time since changing the brakes, it starts perfectly. No issues whatsoever.

As overjoyed as I am, my question is how does the brakes affect how it starts up?

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,233 Posts
Only part of the brakes that would affect startup would have to do with the vacuum on the booster. If you didn't mess with that then the improvement is coincidental.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna start it when the sun comes up and see if it was coincidental or not. I'll also test in a range of temperatures because I remember that it used to start particularly rough in certain temps. I'll update here tomorrow with my findings. Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna start it when the sun comes up and see if it was coincidental or not. I'll also test in a range of temperatures because I remember that it used to start particularly rough in certain temps. I'll update here tomorrow with my findings. Thanks, guys!
My findings are that it still starts well, sometimes it's hiccups a little bit, but it's definitely way better than before the brake drum and pad change.

It starts better in hot weather opposed to cold weather, but it starts fine in both conditions.

Could there be a compression issue?

Because I noticed when the car would start rough, the pressure would be non-existent until either about 10 seconds or I fully depressed the accelerator. Photo attached for what pressure dial I'm on about.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,233 Posts
Since the car sat, the more you start and run it over time the easier it should start and run. You're clearing out old fuel and working parts that have been stagnant for a long time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
so when it starts up rough. If you turn it off and try again is it fine? when It’s cold oil is a lot thicker. also moisture can cause intermittent electrical issues. other than that it’s just coincidental. Cold also effects air pressure in fuel tank, but that’s along shot and me overthinking lol. If it really had anything to do with brakes its more likely from you lifting the rear end, but also a long shot. It’s unclear what you mean “dies alittle” vs hiccup. It’s like me smoking natural leaf tobacco so I only get a little cancer vs copd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts