Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'01 E55, '02 E55 Estate, '05 E55 Estate, '07 R63 '08 G55, '14 E63S Estate
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search but did not find anything. Plus, I'm on an anolog connection at the dealership and hoping for some quick guideance...........I'm driving from CA to WI today so timing important.

Last night I was driving on the freeway and started noticing a decrease in power. A few seconds later the ABS light came on. I pulled over and noticed the brake pedal was hard and engaged at the very top. When I got out of the car I could smell hot brakes. I put the car in drive but it would not move forward without giving it more throttle than usual....felt like the e brake was on. I pulled the e brake and released it numerous times....no help. I put the car in reverse then forward....the brakes were dragging and would not release. I turned the car off and let it sit. Upon restart it had the same symptom. I turned it off and called roadside service and arranged a tow to the dealership. After waiting for an hour I started the car and the problem was gone.

I'm at the dealer now and the only thing they said was "There are numerous codes".

Has anyone had this issue before? Its a 2003 G55 with 11K miles.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
280 ge and 300gd
201 Posts
Whilst having only 460 gs the same basic faults can occour.
The probable area of fault is the master cylinder which has swollen seals, this is stopping fluid returning after brake applications to the reservoir, either that or debris blocking the fine passages inside the bore of the master.

Easy to prove, just slacken the unions slightly on the master and fluid will spurt out and the brakes release.

As you cannot now test this theory be carefull with what they do, I would recomend anew master not reconditioning and a full fluid flush.

There is the posibility of siezes cylinders but your description would need to indicate which wheel or pair were affected and if the effect is from cold or after braking etc.

My knowledge in this area being related to what you would call "agricultural G".

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts