Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
"79" 300TD, "87" 190E
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
79 300TD, I had the fluid flushed and bled. They told me I would need front pads, because the indicator light on the dash would flicker when braking. When I first drove the car after they told me this, there was no light and my brakes were excellent. After about 5 miles of driving the pedal travel increased (travel was not excessive) and the light started to flicker. Later the same day I drove the car again and the pedal was to the original feel after the work was done and no light. Do I need pads or is there some other problem? Please help.:surrender:

·
Registered
918 Posts
79 300TD, I had the fluid flushed and bled. They told me I would need front pads, because the indicator light on the dash would flicker when braking. When I first drove the car after they told me this, there was no light and my brakes were excellent. After about 5 miles of driving the pedal travel increased (travel was not excessive) and the light started to flicker. Later the same day I drove the car again and the pedal was to the original feel after the work was done and no light. Do I need pads or is there some other problem? Please help.:surrender:
You can check your brake pads very easily. Just jack the car up and take off the front wheel. Look in the caliper to see how much pad is left. Check the other side if you want too.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
You can check your brake pads very easily. Just jack the car up and take off the front wheel. Look in the caliper to see how much pad is left. Check the other side if you want too.
Yes, 2mm per pad. If your pedal feel is not to your liking, ask why.

Which brake light is flickering?

·
Registered
"79" 300TD, "87" 190E
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The one that has the circle with dashes surrounding on either side. The confusing part is it only flashed once since the fluid service, which was accompanied by the pedal that traveled a bit. But today the pedal was great and no light. Also, this car is in good working order and I would like to keep it that way (only 102,000 miles on a "79") what servicing should I do to it?

·
Registered
918 Posts
The one that has the circle with dashes surrounding on either side. The confusing part is it only flashed once since the fluid service, which was accompanied by the pedal that traveled a bit. But today the pedal was great and no light. Also, this car is in good working order and I would like to keep it that way (only 102,000 miles on a "79") what servicing should I do to it?
Check the pads, that will be the quickest and easiest.

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
Yes, you really should just inspect the pads. But the pedal shouldn't be inconsistent like that, you may have a vacuum leak, or they didn't get all of the air from the system.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
As long as the pedal stays the same as now, I wouldn't worry about it. If there was air in the line, it would react similarly all the time. But check the front brakes for a possible broken sensor wire.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Circle with dashes is your brake pad wear indicator... Time to replace.

·
Registered
918 Posts
As long as the pedal stays the same as now, I wouldn't worry about it. If there was air in the line, it would react similarly all the time. But check the front brakes for a possible broken sensor wire.
That is a good point, the sensor may have broken somehow but the pads may be fine (although I think it is unlikely). Check both the pads and the sensor wire, which is on top of the caliper.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
That is a good point, the sensor may have broken somehow but the pads may be fine (although I think it is unlikely). Check both the pads and the sensor wire, which is on top of the caliper.
The sensors are a normally open circuit, he'd want to look for shorted wires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts