Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I need help again! What is with me all the time i need help.

Ok - I just came back from MB Manhattan with a possible bill of $2400 leaning on me! They say, I need new brake pads, and rotors, a fuel flush, brake flush, etc.

OK - Its a 2002 car, I had new rotors and pads put on in 2003.... Car now has 53,000 miles. I put again NEW pads on in 2004 because they were running low.... NOW I am told I need again new pads and rotors....

1) I cant do this! Its too much money already... I am paying enough money in AFTERSALE costs than ever.

2) Can i just take it to midas and have them do it for me? My friend has the 1989 300SEL and has Midas do the breaks and there are no problems, and everytime he needs new breaks, they replace them for free as part of the deal.

Has anyone used midas?
PLEASE HELP!

Brad

·
Registered
2002 CL 500
222 Posts
my 02 CL 500 lasted 30,000 before new front rotors and pads all around were needed, at the tune of 898.00 from the dealer, the problem is finding cross drilled rotors of equal integrity or better than OEM at an aftermarket store . Im sure there are plenty around. my rotors were 140.00 a piece from the MB dealership, less expensive after market costs plus if you can do the job your self is one hell of a saving. other wise unfortunately we'll always be at the mercy of MB parts and labor costs. my wind shield wipers were 72.00 each at dealer, found them in pep boys for under 10.00 each. good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One would think that Rotors and brake pads would be covered by the warranty. I just replaced my front rotors and brake pads at 27k. I've heard of using after market rotors but they are not as strong as MB parts (not sure if that's true or not) but it's a double edge sword it's going to cost you either way. Chuck, not to judge your driving abilities but if your changing rotors that fast it basically means that you are driving really fast and braking to "hard" which is causing your rotors to go.

Good luck!
[:D]

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Well - I am 23, and driving around town in an S500 Sport....so....i guess i am driving fast and am heavy on the breaks. However, still, Pads i can understand, but rotors for the 2nd time?

brad

·
Registered
2002 CL 500
222 Posts
MB might be using full metalic pads which would grind the rotors down faster than semi metalic ones, but they would also compromise braking characteristic of car, my old camaro had 130,000 miles on it with original rotors using semi metalic pads, but had to change them more.

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will call Midas and see what they say. There is one located about a mile from my house so I will pop my head in to see if they can offer any advice.
I simply can/will not spend $2000+ every other year. That is just rediculous.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Keep us updated....[;)]

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Armani2468 - 4/15/2005 6:18 PM

Keep us updated....[;)]

OK you ready?
I am going to go to Midas on 2sday and get their opinion before i do anything.

Last night - my "BRAKE FLUID VISIT WORKSHOP" warning light came on. not BRAKE WEAR or whatever.

Now! Here is why I am angry. I just went in for Service A this past week when i got the bad news about the "need" for brakes.
SERVICE A INCLUDES BRAKE FLUID CHECKING! obviously, that was not done! I have not yet paid the bill and do not think I will!

What do i do in a case like that? Call MBNA?

I cant tell you how angry i am because its so apparent that they dont care about their customer! EVEN IF THEY WANTED TO TELL ME that brake fluid will cost EXTRA and is NOT covered by Service A....... fine! BUT TELL ME I NEED IT!!!!! GIVE ME THE OPTION TO PAY FOR IT! any thoughts?

IS THIS REALLY MERCEDES...... the finest automobile engineered?

·
Registered
W220 S500 AMG
105 Posts
I had this post on m b w o r l d . o r g(no spaces) forum and serach for forum title "Non-OEM Brake Pads / Rotors used on W220" by DMI+RY.
I went with performance upgrade rotors/pads (cross-drilled front AND rear rotors by Zimmerman and Kevlar Metallic pads by ROTEX). All parts cost me about $650 delivered (incl. racing brake fluid and brake pads wear sensors).
The rotors/pads R+R job could be done in any brake shop and they won't charge you $100+ per hour.
[:p]

·
Registered
W220 S500 AMG
105 Posts
Chucky300 - 4/17/2005 10:44 AM

Armani2468 - 4/15/2005 6:18 PM

Keep us updated....[;)]
Now! Here is why I am angry. I just went in for Service A this past week when i got the bad news about the "need" for brakes.
SERVICE A INCLUDES BRAKE FLUID CHECKING! obviously, that was not done! I have not yet paid the bill and do not think I will!

What do i do in a case like that? Call MBNA?

I cant tell you how angry i am because its so apparent that they dont care about their customer! EVEN IF THEY WANTED TO TELL ME that brake fluid will cost EXTRA and is NOT covered by Service A....... fine! BUT TELL ME I NEED IT!!!!! GIVE ME THE OPTION TO PAY FOR IT! any thoughts?

IS THIS REALLY MERCEDES...... the finest automobile engineered?
Had too many problems in all surrounding dealerships (4 of them in 30 miles radius). MB stealerships don't pay any attention to service and/or repairs.
Last fall I had an issue with steering wheel memory (it won't move/memorized). It took me FOUR visits to MB stealership and before I studied the problem and guided them what and how to do - the problem was not fixed...
And that only one of many many other issues with MB service.
Don't get me started on that topic...
I was really supprized how MBUSA allows so many idiots being certified as MB mechanics.
[:(!]

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HI OK !

Today - Midas is putting in my brakes. These are IDENTICAL Brakes as mercedes would put on, not midas versions. Cost is $600 less for the entire job than if i did it at the stealership.

Will keep you informed.

PS - What kinda racing brake fluid is there? What does that do? also, what are those upgraded brakes u were talking about?

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
reliablebruce - 4/14/2005 9:26 AM

my 02 CL 500 lasted 30,000 before new front rotors and pads all around were needed, at the tune of 898.00 from the dealer, the problem is finding cross drilled rotors of equal integrity or better than OEM at an aftermarket store . Im sure there are plenty around. my rotors were 140.00 a piece from the MB dealership, less expensive after market costs plus if you can do the job your self is one hell of a saving. other wise unfortunately we'll always be at the mercy of MB parts and labor costs. my wind shield wipers were 72.00 each at dealer, found them in pep boys for under 10.00 each. good luck.
WAIT - you paid $898 for pads AND ROTORS all around? What dealership did you go too?? MB manhattan $1510 for pads and rotors...

·
Registered
2002 CL 500
222 Posts
they just did the front rotors only but pads all the way around. Im here in west palm beach, wish I was back in NYC.if they had installed rear rotors it probably would have been near your cost. just make sure they use the OEM eqivalent or better on the pads. as for racing fluids like brake, transmission , or anything else, their only heat resistant and they don't foam up in use like standard fluids might, check the viscosity of the fluids before you put them in .

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my car back from Midas and everthing is perfect.

All went well, and final cost was $1061.......... for pads and rotors for both FRONT and BACK. This includes all taxes, labor, and parts.

How is that price for ya!
brad

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
reliablebruce - 4/22/2005 8:39 AM

keep me posted as how the car performs, are they cross drilled like the factory ones?
HI !
Ya - Front is cross drilled, back is not. But taht is how it is from the factory. Will let you know bout performance because like all pads / rotors, u need a few days for them to settle in.

How long do u think it takes for that process to happen?

brad

·
Registered
1995 S500
46 Posts
Thanks for the update, however, just for your information, as brake pads are wearing off, th ebrake fluid level is decreasing. MB might have checked your brake fluid and it looked fine, however, they did worned you about your brakes. They have not done anything wrong. I am doing my own brakes and have a friend that supplies me with parts at wholesale cost (mechanics cost).

·
Registered
S-500 2003. BMW 750Li 2006
141 Posts
RSVP sorry RSVM:

How easy is it to do these breaks by yourself? have you done them before? I have done mine on a 1987 BMW and it was easy. Are there any special tools or manuals that will lay it out step by step??

Thanks

Sarv

·
Registered
2016 E400 coupe, 2018 GLE350, 2007 CL600, 2019 C43 coupe
126 Posts
I had the front rotors replaced and front and rear pads installed at Star Mercedes in Yorkville, Il. Total cost was $498. If you live in the Chicagoland area, you need to see these guys. They love Mercedes and do it right. By the way, I had an estimate of $1,400 at Naperville MB.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts