Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes Benz stealership wants $2900, yes $2900 to replace the front pads and rotors and another $2100 to replace the rear pads and rotors on my AMG CLK63. The car's done about 78,000 miles, mostly in-town driving, so it's not unbelievable that the pads need replacing, but I'm not sure about the rotors.

SO....

Q1 Does anyone know what the original thicknesses and minimum thicknesses(service limits) of the front and rear rotors are? If I know the original thicknesses, the thicknesses now and the service limits I can figure out how much longer the rotors are likely to last.

Q2 Recommendations for pads - OEM or some other brand?

Q3 Same question for rotors.

Thanks in advance.

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
Jesus Christ that's a lot of money. You could almost buy a new (used) car.

Here's a thread with some recs. A lot of people like Akebono, Pagid, Brembo, etc.
I'd get ceramic pads just because of the brake dust issue. Wouldn't buy from dealer!

And once you're in there, why not install braided brake lines? I would love those. Firmer feel (no expansion under pressure) and much longer life. Did AMGs ever come with braided lines as standard like the XKR does??

Keyhole probably knows the exact rotor spec. Usually it's down 2 or 3mm from new.
Remember that old rotors tend to exhibit a lip from pad wear so don't measure that.

You are really on original pads after 78K miles of in-town driving??! That's usually new rotor territory at least. I just looked up some prices for Brembos at AutoAnything and they're not bad but those are for regular CLKs and I know the AMGs have different (and more expensive) components.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,709 Posts
The rotors will have the minimum thickness stamped on them somewhere - you may have to remove them to find it on an inside surface.

Of course the dealer is the most expensive place possible to get this work done, but I will warn you, the brakes on the AMG models are going to be much more expensive than on others. Mainly it's because the parts are specific to the AMG cars, and there were so few of them made.

Just to give you an example, I bought cryo-treated D+S for my CLK550 from frozenrotors.com. They were about $150 each. For the MAG the are $1,000 each!

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$150 a corner I don't have a problem with. $1000 a corner? Now that's a problem.

Back in the late 90s I put AP Racing cast iron floating discs and 6-piston calipers, a radial master cylinder and braided hoses on my Ducati 916, cost about $2500 back then. BUT, that bike would stop on a dime.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just eyeballing the "rims" that have developed on the edges of the rotors, I think I'm pretty much down to the wear limit then.

OEM front rotors are $885 EACH - just what are they made of?? Some rare unobtainium alloy or something???

frozenrotors.com $997 each.
jcwhitney.com - not available
tirerack.com - not available
autopartswarehouse.com - not available
benzpartswholesale.com - $708 each
mbonlineparts.com - also $708 each
O'Reilly - not available
pepboys.com - not available
napaonline.com - not available
autozone.com - not available

·
Registered
11,365 Posts
Just eyeballing the "rims" that have developed on the edges of the rotors, I think I'm pretty much down to the wear limit then.
Could those rims be 'skimmed' off?

On my (standard) disks, a lot of that build up is surface rust which I remove annually. It eliminates a 'groan' that occurs on slow braking.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think they're kosher rims left by the pads not running out to the full diameters of the discs. First thought was to just have the rotors skimmed, and given the prices that might have to do for a month or two. Or six...

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Result!

Brembo 09.9547.33

$270.39 each on Amazon.

Temporarily out of stock but if they hold to that price and they arrive before Christmas I'll be happy.

Please don't tell me they're the wrong ones....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hope those rotors come in, I have book marked that page for future reference. That seems to be the best price around, if they are ever available. They may be the most economical advertised prices but if they are never available what good is the price. That price is $350.00 less than the closest price I could find (they cannot be making any profit at that price). I think someone made a mistake and printed the wholesale purchase price with no profit and overhead added into that price. Chevrolet GMC Cadillac BMW Mercedes Benz Parts and Accessories
Mercedes-Benz Genuine Factory Part Part Number: 2094210112 online price: $620.10. The front rotors are two piece aluminum center section with an iron rotor.

As I understand it from Brembo, the AMG brakes are manufactured by Brembo (obvious with Brembo name and logo cast into the calipers) using specifications from AMG. Essentially Brembo is under contract to MB and the design specifications belong to AMG, Brembo is not allowed to sell parts to anyone other than Mercedes. Since that is a very small market controlled by MB the brake component prices remain very high. AMG specs changed the number of rotor pads and pad spacing to be different than other rotors of the same dimensions manufactured by Brembo. To be clear I am certain Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, Jaguar and other manufacturers that have Brembo manufacture brakes for their specific brands change the specifications to be unique to their brand.

Good luck, post your final resolution and purchase

·
Registered
162 Posts
I already have the SS braided brake lines and the ceramic pads.

The instantaneous brake response provided by the SS braided lines should be a OEM change. The SS braided lines do not absorb moisture because the inner lining is Teflon. The added strength and protection provided by the stainless steel outer covering almost makes the SS braided lines a lifetime replacement + they are now DOT legal.

The ceramic pads are easier (= longer rotor life) on the high $ iron rotors and the lower amount or lighter color of brake pad dust produced is worth that change. Make sure you purchase ceramic pads that match your driving style. It is very important to properly BED-IN the new brake pads. The bedding process ensures the pads and rotors deliver optimal braking performance and the longest pad and rotor life.

Brake Pad Bed-In

These are cost effective DIY projects.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Just to add an update . re, 2005 CLK55 AMG front rotors. 6 piston brembo.
I have purchased from FCP Euro , new front rotors for about $365 USD each. Identical to the originals. Two piece ,,Aluminium hat.
Original part number ,209 421 0112 or 171 421 0112 ,,Brembo part no. BRE-09925433 340mm diam. and 32mm thick.
These brakes are surprisingly easy to work on.
Torque specs Caliper to bracket 115 Nm.. Easier to remove these bolts in my opinion if you want to move the caliper. 10mm internal hex bolt.
Bracket to hub ...110 Nm.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah. CLK55 rotors are a lot cheaper.

Latest prices for CLK63 front rotors $463 at FCPEuro for Bembos (probably same as OEM just not in MB boxes), $723 for OEM at genuinemercedesparts.com, currently not listed at Autohausaz.com.

Genuinemercedesparts.com has the list price of OEM at $850, which is quite a drop from the last time I looked.

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^ Not sure but probably. Either that or because they added more Unobtainium to the rotor steel to justify jacking the prices up 20-30% 😞

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
So I finally got around to fitting my new front rotors,,,,and pads. Brembo 340 x 32 mm and Bendix DB1845 GCT pads. These pads are low dust , and I went for a soft compound ,,I'd rather wear through pads than rotors that cost me $550 AUD each. after shipping and GST.
The rotors minimum thickness is 30mm ,,mine were just under 29mm after 100,000km or 60,000 miles.
The pad spreading/ separating , piston pushing tool which pushes both ways was brilliant,,,I just put the old pads in and used them to push all the pistons back in at the same time. Easy..
All seems to be ok , but I still have to drive the car...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good job!

Now just remember to take things slowly for the first 100 to 150 kms until everything beds in and the shiny anti-rust coating rubs off the rotors.

So long as you bled the brakes properly you shouldn't have any problems.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
8 Participants
Benzyle
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing