Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been looking into the brake upgrade, and I found these on the website.

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-caliper-front/duralast-non-bracktd-brake-caliper-front/458333_35763_2362

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-caliper-front/duralast-non-bracktd-brake-caliper-front/458335_35763_5913

and the rotors

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-rotor/genuine-brake-rotor/634716_150280_0

will these work? it says compatible for 99-01 SL600s, doesnt say its compatible for the pre 99s.

Im not worried about cutting the dust shield and all that, just wanna know if these are the largest ones or what else I can do to make my 95 brakes a little bigger and better.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
Yup, those are them.

See on the backside where Brembo is cast into the side of the caliper.

Definitely worth the price + core. You will also need to get the newer car brake fluid flex line as the old one isn't compatible (seals differently). You don't have to do anything about the dust shield, it's just not as large in diameter (but big enough) as the one specifically for that brake system. I didn't change mine and there's been no issue. Get stainless steel flex lines and new caliper bolts (from the dealership).

Your 16 inch spare WILL NOT FIT on the front with the big brakes, you'll have to get a 17 inch spare from a 99+ R129 or equivalent.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Just so you know, most likely N/A... I saw these listed as rebuild units on their website few years back, tried to order, lets you put them in the cart, but when you go to pay for the, says "not available"

Great prices otherwise, good luck!

Regards,
D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there any way to get calipers for these cars?I'm not thrilled with the prospect of having 20 year old calipers on my car when I drive cross country knowing if I have an issue I can't replace them.

Unless of course this isn't something to be concerned about. That works too.
Just so you know, most likely N/A... I saw these listed as rebuild units on their website few years back, tried to order, lets you put them in the cart, but when you go to pay for the, says "not available"

Great prices otherwise, good luck!

Regards,
D

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well, for what it's worth, imo, on a properly maintained car, that is rust free and driven frequently, where visually no corrosion on the calipers, I would not hesitate driving it anywhere. Brake lines would give out before the calipers in most cases.

Now, to the calipers, since the rebuilt calipers are usually out of stock in most auto parts places (Brembo or large ATE SL600 for 320mm rotors), there are rebuild kits available for both. Brembo kits about $40 per caliper, ATE are about $70 from what I remember. Many many many years ago I worked for ATE Teves Automotive (now Teves Continental), and have become very familiar with the calipers. That factory provided calipers for Mazda, BMW and Ford of Europe.

Assuming there is no physical damage, once the core caliper disassembled and fully cleaned up, its just the matter of few seals and bushings to be reinstalled carefully. Refinish in the color of choice (preferably powder coated prior to assembly) and good as new.

Regards,
D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm considering having them rebuilt if I can find someone locally.

The cross country drive I am doing in this car is a rather famous one that ends at the portofino inn. I believe there was a spoof movie made about it starring the late Burt Reynolds in the 80s. That's why I worry about braking power, and am replacing so much on the car.
Well, for what it's worth, imo, on a properly maintained car, that is rust free and driven frequently, where visually no corrosion on the calipers, I would not hesitate driving it anywhere. Brake lines would give out before the calipers in most cases.

Now, to the calipers, since the rebuilt calipers are usually out of stock in most auto parts places (Brembo or large ATE SL600 for 320mm rotors), there are rebuild kits available for both. Brembo kits about $40 per caliper, ATE are about $70 from what I remember. Many many many years ago I worked for ATE Teves Automotive (now Teves Continental), and have become very familiar with the calipers. That factory provided calipers for Mazda, BMW and Ford of Europe.

Assuming there is no physical damage, once the core caliper disassembled and fully cleaned up, its just the matter of few seals and bushings to be reinstalled carefully. Refinish in the color of choice (preferably powder coated prior to assembly) and good as new.

Regards,
D

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
Go to the dealership and have your brake fluid changed (good idea for every other year on brake systems with dissimilar metals) and tell them you are planning a trip. It's not a very expensive service.

If there is anything wrong, they will let you know.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
Yes, and with dissimilar metals in the system (iron, aluminum), galvanic action (through the absorbed moisture) takes it's toll.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, and with dissimilar metals in the system (iron, aluminum), galvanic action (through the absorbed moisture) takes it's toll.
So in other words, if I crack the lines and the fluid is cleanish, I should be ok? I have pads, rotors and stainless lines already.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
Is the fluid more than 2 years old?

Pads, rotors and flex lines aren't a caliper rebuild. I thought you were concerned with the condition of your calipers before your trip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No idea. I only know the history of the car 2 years back, and all that was done to it in those 2 years were oil changes, a mass air flow sensor and that's it. He did put 15k miles on it in that time. Not knowing I would rather have the calipers rebuilt/replaced to be safe.

This isn't something I feel comfortable doing. I only did it once in high school and remember it being a pain on dual piston calipers, let alone 4 piston.
Is the fluid more than 2 years old?

Pads, rotors and flex lines aren't a caliper rebuild. I thought you were concerned with the condition of your calipers before your trip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
Shadyduk1979
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing