Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'02 C320 Wagon
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an '02 C320 Wagon yesterday. It still has about 18 months and 27K left on the warranty, so I wasn't too concerned about a little bit of "thumping" from the brakes (not sure if it's front or rear) when under light braking - it goes thumpthumpthumpthump, slowing as the car slows.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the fix? The dealership I bought it from (Acura dealer) thought it might be the rotors and turned them prior to delivery, but it showed up again this morning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
HAHAHAHA, that's hilarious! Have you been driving long?

If what I think you're talking about is right, the thumping is the anti-lock brakes. Far from a problem. Basically, the brakes pulsate on and off quickly to slow the car and prevent you from being unable to steer. No problem.

·
Registered
2006 C280
196 Posts
Well, that was a thoroughly ridiculous response. Of course, he is not using the brakes hard enough to engage the ABS - how long have YOU been driving?

Yeah, my first reaction is to have a look at the rotors. Usually, though, you'll feel pulsing through the pedal if the rotors are warped, but it could also be that one or more of the calipers is sticking and not releasing properly. Only a good tech who is willing to take the time to check the brakes thoroughly is going to be able to tell you. Suffice it to say that this is not a common complaint in these cars.

Presumably, when you bought it, you had an idea of who was going to service it - independent vs local dealer. Whichever, now is a good time to start building a relationship. Off to the dealer to exercise the warranty?

One comment on what the Acura dealer has done already - Mercedes specifically says NOT to try to turn the rotors on these cars - you replace them if they need repair. The Acura guy may have made things worse.

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
jrct9454A - 3/31/2005 5:37 PM

Well, that was a thoroughly ridiculous response. Of course, he is not using the brakes hard enough to engage the ABS - how long have YOU been driving?

Yeah, my first reaction is to have a look at the rotors. Usually, though, you'll feel pulsing through the pedal if the rotors are warped, but it could also be that one or more of the calipers is sticking and not releasing properly. Only a good tech who is willing to take the time to check the brakes thoroughly is going to be able to tell you. Suffice it to say that this is not a common complaint in these cars.

Presumably, when you bought it, you had an idea of who was going to service it - independent vs local dealer. Whichever, now is a good time to start building a relationship. Off to the dealer to exercise the warranty?

One comment on what the Acura dealer has done already - Mercedes specifically says NOT to try to turn the rotors on these cars - you replace them if they need repair. The Acura guy may have made things worse.
Thanks for shutting that guy up!! that was a very uncalled for response.

Anyhow The bad news here is that brakes, rotors, are wear parts, and are not covered under the factory warranty past 12m/12K or somwhere like that. You're not likely to get free brake work on an '02' vehicle unless you own the shop.

Plus I don't exactly agree with MB say don't turn rotors. Although these day's i'd rather just replace them, every rotor has a minimum thickness stamped right on the rotor. I've turned rotors on my ML before, but only once, and only just to clean them up so barely taking anything off.
It sounds lke this guy is due a brake job.

Also.. if it was Warranty work, don't you think the Acura dealer would have taken it to get done instead of risking you haggling them over the price because of it? Give those poor guys a little credit...

Good Luck.. and congrats on the car...
After the brake issue is resolved, i'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase..

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
jrct9454A - 3/31/2005 5:37 PM

Thanks for shutting that guy up!! that was a very uncalled for response.

Anyhow The bad news here is that brakes, rotors, are wear parts, and are not covered under the factory warranty past 12m/12K or somwhere like that. You're not likely to get free brake work on an '02' vehicle unless you own the shop.

Plus I don't exactly agree with MB say don't turn rotors. Although these day's i'd rather just replace them, every rotor has a minimum thickness stamped right on the rotor. I've turned rotors on my ML before, but only once, and only just to clean them up so barely taking anything off.
It sounds lke this guy is due a brake job.

Also.. if it was Warranty work, don't you think the Acura dealer would have taken it to get done instead of risking you haggling them over the price because of it? Give those poor guys a little credit...

Good Luck.. and congrats on the car...
After the brake issue is resolved, i'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase..

·
Registered
'02 C320 Wagon
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. The problem seems to have disappeared in the last 24 hours, so it may have simply been a side effect of having sat on the lot for a few weeks (surface rust on the rotors?). I'll check it out with the local MB dealer next week.

·
Registered
2006 C280
196 Posts
If the rust was bad enough....though I've never had that be noticeable after the first couple of stops, and the feel is just one of scraping, like sandpaper.

Anyway, let's hope things will be fine...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts