Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2002 CL 55 and was wondering if the calipers and rotors are a direct fit from a later ('03-'06) CL 55.

Has anybody performed this conversion?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello all,

I have a 2002 CL 55 and was wondering if the calipers and rotors are a direct fit from a later ('03-'06) CL 55.

Has anybody performed this conversion?

Thanks in advance!
Anybody???? I'm sure that somebody here has done this conversion or at least attempted it. :confused:

·
Registered
Silver 1995 500 SL (sold), White 2001 CL500 (wrecked), White 2003 CL55 Kompressor (pampered) & more
57 Posts
you have to check part numbers and if they match on one of the russian websites, guys can anyone help, i lost those links

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake swap on 2002 CL55 - UPDATE -

Since starting this thread I have picked up a set of brakes (front & rear) from a 2003 CL 55 for my 2002 CL 55.
As it turns out they are not a direct swap but can be installed with a little modification. :thumbsup:

In the rear, the only mod needed is to shave a little (2-3mm) off the caliper where it mounts to the spindle. You can actually see where its already notched out from the factory. I just followed the same line and took off a bit more. See pics below.

This was necessary to center the caliper to the rotor, otherwise the caliper actually touches the outside face of the rotor where only the pad should make contact.

Here are some before and after pics...

As for the front, I attempted to but the bigger rotor and 8 piston caliper from the '03 CL 55 and everything seemed to line up, but the only apparent problem was that the caliper bolts are larger in diameter (~ 1mm) than the stock bolts, so will have to slightly drill out the holes in the front spindles to accommodate the larger bolt. I am planning on doing the front this week and will again post an update and pics.

I forgot to mention that the dust shields need to be trimmed all around to clear the larger calipers. Simple job with tin snips. :beerchugr:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another UPDATE

So the front calipers are on as well :thumbsup:

Here are some before and after pics....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts