Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300TD
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a lot of discussion about brake squealing, but just a fyi:

Our 2005 ML350 SE has 10,000 miles and the brakes constantly squeal whenever they are applied. My wife is annoyed. She took it to the dealer who said that the weather causes the rotors to rust, which causes the squealing - in other words, they couldn't do anything about it. My wife (bless her heart) pointed out that she never had this problem with her Pontiac Aztek.

I am suggesting that she take it back in and insist that they correct it.

I'll let you know how it goes, but if anyone has advice for her, let me know.

Thanks, and

Best Regards,

e

·
BenzWorld Post Whore
10 E350 4MATIC
3,832 Posts
That definitely is not normal

I have an 03 ML350, had my front brake pads replaced at about ~19K miles because dealer said they were below minimal MB standards, 11K miles later the pads are still in good condition and it doesnt squeal. Even with the original pads it never squealed.

I've heard of squealing ML500 brakes before but not ML320/ML350's.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,992 Posts
I'd just replace the pads. Original MBZ pads are bad about being noisy and coating your wheels with black dust. I have Rotex on mine, but I’ve heard good things about Mintex and Porterfield, too. I so have one Rotex pad that has a tiny squeal to it when I gently apply the brakes, but it stops with just a little more pressure. It’s likely caused by a piece of embedded metal in the edge of the pad. I also have very clean wheels and plenty of stock left on these pads after 30K miles!

- RODNEY

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,548 Posts
eolon - 3/4/2005 12:03 PM

I know there has been a lot of discussion about brake squealing, but just a fyi:

Our 2005 ML350 SE has 10,000 miles and the brakes constantly squeal whenever they are applied. My wife is annoyed. She took it to the dealer who said that the weather causes the rotors to rust, which causes the squealing - in other words, they couldn't do anything about it. My wife (bless her heart) pointed out that she never had this problem with her Pontiac Aztek.

I am suggesting that she take it back in and insist that they correct it.

I'll let you know how it goes, but if anyone has advice for her, let me know.

Thanks, and

Best Regards,

e
S42ML is right - this problem is predominantly a ML500 issue and I believe it's due to the sizing of the brake rotors. The are squealers in cold weather and replacing pads/rotors haven't helped, according to those who have done it. Does your SE have the same rotor size as the 500 - take a peek at regular 350 rotors and compare with yours. If yours is larger, then you have the 500 bug, and frankly, other than replacing the pads with non OEM (and there are some better Brembo/Poterfield performers out there), you're basically SOL!!!!! If your rotors are not ML500 sized, then you have the regular 320/250 brakes and they really shouldn't squeal. My 320 never squealed but my 500 is a piano, well, just more annoying!! Have the dealer replace the pads and rotors - work with them on this one please.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts