Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This regards my 1989 300SE with 235k miles. My brake pad warning light flickered a few times tonight.

I’ve had both the front and rear pads off within the year I’ve owned this car. I’ve worked on the rear parking brakes and the front wheel bearings. The brake pads looked ok to me. Like less than 1/2 wear all around.

During my drive tonight, it did rain. And I drive through about 100 feet of water that probably came up to the right rotors, if not calipers. And the flickering started as I went over the speed bump entering our complex, a couple minutes after the flooded area.

I’m wondering, is it possible the water affected my brake pad sensor? And if so, can I “reset” it?

And also, are there sensors for the rear pads? Because I did some parts looking before I realized it may be a water/sensor issue, and I can only find sensors for the front.

·
Registered
90 420SEL, 00 BMW X5, 00 Lexus RX300, 01 Chrysler Town and Country
349 Posts
Use a thin wire brush and/or electrical contact cleaner and clean out the connector. Trace the connector and you will find it on top of the fender behind the EZL on the drivers side. Similar position for the passenger side. There are no sensors for the rear afaik.

·
Registered
90 420SEL, 00 BMW X5, 00 Lexus RX300, 01 Chrysler Town and Country
349 Posts
It looks like an elongated 2 wire connector that plugs in and out.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just want to follow up. The car sat yesterday. I took it out today for a couple hours. I forgot about the brake pad warning light until I returned home, because it never came back on.

So I’m gonna say getting wet from that flood water and hitting the speed bump caused an initial problem. And once dried, it’s fine. If it comes back, I’ll follow up again.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts