Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300sl
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a brake job today and the first rotor (right rear) I try to remove won't budge. I removed the pads and caliper then the set screw. I made sure the parking brake wasn't engaged. All came out fine, but I can't get the rotor off. I have hit it pretty good with a hammer from the back and tapped all around the disk and hub but it won't release.

What else should I try? How hard can I hammer it?

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,840 Posts
They do tend to rust together. Have you tried penetrating oil as well as tapping it?

You won't break anything, but I would be inclined to use a a piece of hardwood or aluminium, and really bash it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1992 300sl
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Redliner.

Just needed more force so I went from the Medium F.... Hammer to the Big F.... Hammer and wailed away. Popped right off.

Hope to be riding on ATE slotted rotors with Akebono ceramic poads in just a few hours.

·
Premium Member
'93 600SL , 2009 C350
184 Posts
It's great when you have room to swing the BIGGER hammer !!:D

I buff my rust off with a small rotary sander and grease them up a bit.... saves on looking for the big hammer LOL ...

I love ATE brakes...

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1992 300sl
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great advice. I had read that somewhere and did the same. Just finished the left rear. Nothing to it. Sure would be nice to have a lift.

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
is the ebrake binding?

lift the rear end of the car up, and make sure the wheel/hub in question spins freely...

once the brake issue is confirmed to be non existant, just hammer the hub area on the old rotor, until it breaks loose...

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,084 Posts
This reminds me of a brake job many years ago. I also could not get the disc off by hammering at it. The neighbours little 3 year old boy who was watching me mused " My dad would use a bigger hammer!". So I did get a bigger hammer and Voila! it came off.

·
Registered
1992 300sl
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. Finished at about 10:00 and will test drive this morning. Really a simple job. Big hammer and some heat worked like a charm. Didn't even cuss or hurt myself.

This morning I am doing the strut mounts. Later this week will be transmission flush, flex discs and motor mounts. The car will be like new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts