Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my rotors and brake pads on my 2000 ML430. I now have a nasty squeal that wont go away. I used the spray product to stop brake noise but with no success.
The only thing I'm not sure about is how much pressure those spring steel things on the top of the pads needs. When I started the project some had a little pressure and some had none. I assume that they are there to keep pressure on the pads so when I installed them I tweeked them to give a good amount of pressure. Is this correct or do they need some play in them? Also, what is that part called?

Thanks,
Dean

·
Registered
1999 ML320 Elegance, BMW R1150RT, SAAB 9-3
282 Posts
i'm not expert in this area but i would think the part quality would be most likely cause.

what rotors and brake pads did you install? (and how much were they!)
did you clean the new rotors well?
where did you apply the antisqueel?
is this the front or the rear?

maybe try a different antisquell product , more of it, more widespead...

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
I believe 2000 ML430 has big brembo 2 piston style calipers. You have to apply anti squeal paste between pads and pistons to glue them together. Also you have to match quality of pads with quality and hardness of rotors.
I have set of front OEM Brembo pads 1634200820 with pins, springs and sensors, if you need them (I was going to upgrade my ML320 while back to big brake set since I'm hauling cars behind it but oem set is doing fine job so far).
OEM untisqueal paste was given to me by dealer pars department for free when I asked about it and I was not even buying brake components. I never applied anything on my pads and never had any noise. I do use Napa red paste on pads every time I do brake job on other cars, small bead on contact surface of the piston.
Bernard

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I bought the pads and rotors from AutohausAz. They say OE materials not OE parts. I have ordered some new springs and pins but I don't think it's the problem. I loosened them up some this morning with no change in the noise. Then I put more pressure on them, again no change. I even sanded the friction side of the pads hoping to remove whatever might have glazed over them. My next option is getting pads from the stealer on Monday.

I'm 51 years old and have replaced brakes on more cars than I care to think about, including this car 5 years ago. I have never had this many problems before...it's really starting to piss me off.:mad:

·
Registered
2004 SL500; 2003 E320; 2001 ML430 Sport; 1999 E320 Wagon
404 Posts
The spring assembly you are talking about is the pad return mechanism which pushes the pads away from the rotor when pressure is released (foot off the brake petal). If the brakes only make noise when you are applying pressure to the brake petal, then I believe this assembly is not involved with the problem, although you should replace it if you have ZERO tension on reassembly.

I've had brake squeal with my ML430 since day ONE. Mainly in the rear. I have tried a lot of different things to mitigate the noise with varying degrees of success. What seems to work best is my own version of Witek's suggestion above. But eventually the brakes get dirty and start to squeal again. If I take them apart, clean and reapply paste to the moving areas, then the squeal will stop for another several months. I have yet to find a permanent solution. The WORST thing I tried (via dealer brake job) was to silicone (glue) the back of the pad to the pistons. That made the worst noise of all. It's best to apply a high-temp grease to this area.

The best pads I have used (squealed the least, but actually still squeal on occasion) are the current ones I'm using - Wagner ThermoQuiet. They only squeal when the calipers are really dirty and then only ~2 MHP or less; just before stopping. Pad dust is also considerable less than OEM.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Get the MB brake goo, for the ML like $16 for a tube which is a lifetime supply, like pointed out by other this is a requirement for V8 W163's especially, you squeeze a liine of it on the metallic side of each pad, and by personal choice I also schmear a little on the back of the pads with it as well.

Since using the goo, and the proper procedure, the only squeal I have ever gotten have been short term dirty pads.

The W163 brakes are not a mystery, and there is a reason for the goo - once you get squeal-less, you never go back... for $16, no reason to you have a lifetime supply.

Do a forum search and you find out all the rest.

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
the tube of MB brake goo

This is a shot of the tube of MB brake goo:

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That PDF file was interesting. I did not apply anything to the ends of the pads. I will pick up some of thet goo on Monday. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Just so you know, I am a fan of autohausaz.com, however they do post Mintex as having OE compound pads, and that to me is a bit of overstatement.

Pagid (premium) also owns Textar (mid-range) and Mintex (low end), and for me I have not had good personal expereince with the Mintex pads.

There are a lot of opinions on brake pads, however for my ML's I have had good success with running PosiQuiet semi-metallic pads. A bit lower dust, but I really like the construction of the pads since they have bevels front/rear edges, and also they have been pre-scortched for easier break-in. Not to be confused with the Wagener ThermoQuiet.

If you ever have to do rotors, I choose aftermarket solloted/drilled/plated which are affordable for under $100 for the pair, a little break in for them but not much. I have not been a fan of the Zimmerman since they started their gray coat.

Good luck !

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
1999 ML320 (SOLD), 2011 BMW X5
157 Posts
fabbrisd1, agree on not liking Mintex, which is what I got last time (4 years ago) and have had squeal from day one.

I got the PosiQuiets from RockAuto this time but still went with Zimms from autohaus. Although I have not installed either the pads or rotors yet I think they might be out of return range, and anyway it's going to cost a bundle to return.

But in case I can (will check tomorrow) can you provide a link or name/description of the aftermarket rotors you like? Thanks.

PS: did you use any paste with PosiQuiets? I plan on using the NAPA/CRC red stuff although some (many?) posts on this forum state that the PQs never needed any paste.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I use the MB brake goo as decribed on the side of the pads, on the Posi's due to the coated surface on the back plate nothing is required, but as me I choose to schmear a light coat on that as well.

I know, it's contraintuitive what that Satr bullentin has to say, but for me it has worked well... the MB brake goo is actually a high temperature silicone sealant, and the objective is to but a bead of it on each side of the pad as shown in the bulletin.

Thise Posi's are sold by the "cheap guys" like Rock Auto, but I really like the construction of the pads, China did good work on this one. I had bought like (3) full sets fronts and rears when a eBay seller had the full sets for like $80 a couple of years ago, lifetime supply of pads.

These rotors are basic, zinc plating is decent, haven't had a problem replacing the OE with these, like $140 a pair shipped to my zip code:

BENZ ML320 ML350 98-01 Front Drill Slot Brake Rotors: eBay Motors (item 350406681972 end time Nov-21-10 18:47:00 PST)

·
Registered
2000 CLK 320 1999 ML 320 2010 E350
24 Posts
The dreaded brake squeal. (it could be the pins) I had this issue for months after changing my pads to ceramics. The only thing that worked for me after practically coating every surface of the brake pad but the pad itself was to put the paste on the 2 pins the hold the caliper (making it easy to slide into the rubber boots) and shim the pad nice and tight on the rails that the pad slides on in the caliper. I did these both at the same time so I am not sure what the golden bullet was but if I was to guess I would say that the pins were squeaking. I should have picked up on this a few times before I had the wheels off because I grabbed the clipper with both hands and moved it a little bit and it was squeaking. Should have known that the problem was the pins. Coat them good and you just may get lucky

1 - 13 of 13 Posts