Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1984 190e 2.3
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was changing the brakes 2 days ago. only the front brakes were worn. the rear pads were still thick. we tried to bleed the rear caliper but just heard a bubling sound when i pumped the brakes. no fluid came out however. i pumped the brakes atleats 2,000 (two thousand ) times. still nothing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
only the front brakes were worn. the rear pads were still thick
I don't know specifically about the M-B cars, but all my other vehicles this is true also. The front brakes do most of the braking work. The rears work more when you are braking in reverse.

Also--different types of pads wear MUCH differently. Your front pads could be standard Organic pads, but the rear could be Carbon/Metallic (wear almost twice as long).

AFARR

·
Registered
1984 190e 2.3
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i understand wat u mean. 70% of the braking is in the front. but the problem with my car is there is no fluid going to the rear brakes. i suspect its the master cylinder but there is no signs of leak i see.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don't know if you tried bolth sides.

If the fluid has been neglected sometimes gunk builds up in the small hole the bleeders are screwed into.

Before you go to the master cyl. try this.

With the bleeder closed have someone put presure on the pedal and the crack the brake hose loose and if it squirts then the master is prob. ok. and you will have to remove the bleeders and try to pump fluid through.

If you dont get any flow after cracking the line loose then have someone hold pedal down and crack the line that supplies the rears with fluid at the master. Just like you are bleeding the master.

If you dont get any fluid squirt from there only then would I suspect the master cyl.

As always remember to use safty glasses and remember brake fluid is bad for all the surfaces of your car.

Good luck..Dave

OOPS sry try the bleeder removel then the loosen the brake line thing. Do the easy thing first[:)]

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Are you loosening the bleed nipple and then pumping the pedal up and down with the nipple loose?

If so it may be that you are actually sucking air when letting the pedal up.

Try pushing down on the pedal and loosen the nipple. Once it reaches the bottom, tighten the nipple and let the pedal back up. It's alot slower process, but has worked for me in the past when I've experienced symptons like you are describing.

·
Registered
1984 190e 2.3
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what i was doing. earlier i connected the rear brake lines to a pressure feeder. the fluid flowed to the rear so i kno there is no leak. the power brake pump is fine sincce the pedal is lighter with the engine on. so now i really think its the master cylinder. the cheapest i found was $150 (new). i was also thinking of buying one from the junk yard.

·
Registered
190E, 993
552 Posts
Check your local NAPA, Advance Auto, etc. A remanuf. one can be had for under $100 (after you return the core and get your core charge back). The used one you buy might be in poorer shape then your current one and its only a matter of time till that used one goes as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts