Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML500
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was hoping someone could give me advice/opinion.

I'm in the UK and have a w163 2002 ML500. It's been for an MoT today and unfortunately failed on a few things, but one thing that amazed me was that it had advisories for many party's of the brake pipes showing corrosion.

The reason I'm surprised is that corroded brake pipes were the reason it failed last August! So although not a failure, should there really be signs of corrosion on the pipes for an MoT tester to mark as an advisory only 12 months after they were fitted?

I know it's been a wet year, but it feels like perhaps the pipes fitted last year weren't of the standard they should have been?m is that possible?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
Did you use Dealer OEM or after market replacement parts?
Were they the parts you replaced last year or another section of the brake lines?
Is it just surface corrosion / discoloration or deep corrosion?
Brake lines should not corrode in only one year.
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested in your situation and the causes.
Mike

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,126 Posts
You did say if they were for the front or rear lines.
for the rear lines the MB OEM replacement lines have very dark green coating on them and run from the abs pump to and split to each side of the rear brake calipers near the left rear wheel. They are both one long 10+ foot single piece.

If it was the rear lines that were replaced 12 months ago and none of them have any of the dark green coating I would suspect that replacement material is not of great quality.

If it is the lines to front this year and rear lines were replaced last year that would not be uncommon.

Where on the vehicle is the corrosion identified?

·
Registered
2002 ML500
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. Thanks for the replies

I seem to remember the garage saying they had to cut the pipes to the correct length, so would imagine they weren't MB pipes?

To be honest I'm not sure exactly where the corrosion is and how bad, I was just more alarmed the they had pointed out bits of corrosion on pipes that were only fitted 12 months ago.

·
Purple Moderator
22,126 Posts
Perhaps it was corrosion at the lines that were still old. Of it was corrosion on the new lines then they
should have lasted a lot longer. I did the lines for my farm pickup truck. It is driven in horrible conditions
like salted roads. 3 years and the metal is still shiny on the lines I replaced. I just had to buy bulk line
and I I already had the tool kit for flaring the ends to make good sealing fittings.

·
Purple Moderator
22,126 Posts
I think that was for the fuel line rubbing on the brake line on gas MLs and it was a recall. The dealers
would inspect and install a spacer clip if needed.
Not sure if it affected diesels as we never had any here until the W164.

·
Registered
m series w163 2004
4 Posts
Surprised that nobody mentioned that merc brake pipes are a alloy, not sure the full name, but it is very hard, and coated with a lacquer, so a lot of cheaper garages cant flare them, so use the cheaper copper, lifetime 5 years at most

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Surprised that nobody mentioned that merc brake pipes are a alloy, not sure the full name, but it is very hard, and coated with a lacquer, so a lot of cheaper garages cant flare them, so use the cheaper copper, lifetime 5 years at most
You're replying to a 7+ year old post....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts