Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'07 S550 Designo Mocha, '07 S600 Saks edition, '09 R350
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Love your thoughts on this. A few months ago I had to garage my 99 E430 after the transmission failed. We'll this month I finally saved up and found a great transmission shop in the bay area (MB Exchange Transmissions in Fremont for anyone who might need a recommendation)

We'll I picked up the car today and noticed the brake pedal is extremely firm for the first 1/2" of travel, the rest of the way is normal.

Any ideas on what could have caused this?

Thanks!

-Jeff

·
Registered
E-Class 300 TD 1998, E-Cllass 290 TDi 1996, 601 DKB 1982(207D)
117 Posts
Hey folks. Love your thoughts on this. A few months ago I had to garage my 99 E430 after the transmission failed. We'll this month I finally saved up and found a great transmission shop in the bay area (MB Exchange Transmissions in Fremont for anyone who might need a recommendation)

We'll I picked up the car today and noticed the brake pedal is extremely firm for the first 1/2" of travel, the rest of the way is normal.

Any ideas on what could have caused this?

Thanks!

-Jeff
Jeff,

Based on what I can imagine is that there had to be quite some corrosion on the brake-discs that had to be removed by braking, this might have cause extra friction when braking. If the brakes act normally now, there should be no reason for concern. Please also bear in mind that it is normally that the braking system should be liquid changed every 2 years, as the liquid is hygroscopic....but you can have it checked for this at a MB or other workshop.

Cheers,
Ingmar

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Ingmar,

A bit of clarification. The pedal is still very firm for the 1st 1/2" of travel on the pedal. In other words once you push it in a bit it gets much easier. I've driven the car for about 100 miles now and still no change.

I will look into a fluid change as an option. My concern was that maybe something could have degraded, gotten stuck in the master cylinder.

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
It is possible that one of the vacuum tube at the back of the engine is partially broken and when the suction comes the tube was sucked back into its orginal position and did the job. Hence, initially it is hard, but after you press it gets normalised.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd love to take a look at the hoses. I see the main one which goes to the master Cylinder. Are there any others. Does anyone have access to a diagram of the braking /abs system?

Thanks!
Jeff Shood

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I traced the main vacuum line to the engine and noticed that the connector on the back of the engine had about 1/4" of play. There is some sort of regulator /connector visible in the attached picture.

Is this amount of play normal?

Thanks!
Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The gap is normally abnormal. Many people have that gap. It was old and loosened, and should NOT cause the problem you mentioned.

Sorry, no diagram, hope someone else will answer.

·
Registered
2014 E350 station wagon gasoline
276 Posts
Click on the link and choose the part of the brake system you want to look at.
Assuming your car is post 06/99.
If it is pre 06/99 then navigate back to the model year and choose that model.

Óçëû è àãðåãàòû

Alex

ps.
Never mind the funny characters, the link works, it is a Russian site. :)

·
Registered
E-Class 300 TD 1998, E-Cllass 290 TDi 1996, 601 DKB 1982(207D)
117 Posts
If the brakes, except for the first 1/2 inch act normally, I do not think there is something wrong with the vacuum. I am thinking perhaps a bit off corrosion on the master cilinder, as you indicated that it has been standing still for a couple of months. Braking liquid is hygroscopic, and when there is water in it somewere it tends to start corrosion.

Cheers,
Ingmar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts