Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1973 280C
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've just started driving my '73 280C and have noticed that the brake pedal has a large amount of travel before any braking action is noticed. It's been over three years since I've driven it, so I can't remember if it's normal or not. It still seems to apply full stopping pressure once the pedal gets close to the floor, but my belief is that it's not supposed to be this way.

I bled the system using a vacuum pump, and I will probably do so again just to be sure. Should I be using DOT3 or DOT4 fluid in this vehicle? I used DOT3, but wasn't sure if this could affect it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
doc_rage - 2/10/2005 8:48 AM

Hello all. I've just started driving my '73 280C and have noticed that the brake pedal has a large amount of travel before any braking action is noticed. It's been over three years since I've driven it, so I can't remember if it's normal or not. It still seems to apply full stopping pressure once the pedal gets close to the floor, but my belief is that it's not supposed to be this way.

I bled the system using a vacuum pump, and I will probably do so again just to be sure. Should I be using DOT3 or DOT4 fluid in this vehicle? I used DOT3, but wasn't sure if this could affect it.

Thanks!

Check booster system and master cylinder. Could be in failure. Once it is, you have to replace it with a new ones.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If it has a soft pedal the booster is OK but the master cylinder is history,if the pedal is sinking more that 2 1/2 inches the rear brakes are not getting pressure.You will find that because MB's have such excellent brakes it feels OK ,but the rears will not be working and you run the risk of rear ending someone in the wet.[:0][:0]
A quick check is to put your foot on the pedal,then start the engine,the pedal should sink towards the floor.
If it does'nt move the booster will have to be replaced.

·
Registered
1973 280C
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses! I will look into ordering a replacement master cylinder, as the pedal does in fact sink to the floor once the car is started.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts