Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'95 993 / 2011 F150 Raptor SC / Land Cruiser D4D V8 / 500 SEC
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I missed it completely when working on the front end, but the other one just dropped : I've got solid front rotors. Can't be right. Can it ?

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Meaning no vents between the rotor halves?

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
I think he means drilled and maybe routed. The cars came with solid rotors with vents between the surfaces. Aftermarket can be drilled and routed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean 'vented', like in two discs with turbine blades between them. Mine are solid, meaning no vents, no slots, no holes, no nothing. Just a solid piece of metal.

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,584 Posts
Early SD and some W123 cars had solid discs all around. If yours is one of these, it propably was swapped at one point, as the SEC should definitely have vented discs. Early cars have the floating caliper (coupe only), with smaller diameter, but larger swept area pads.
Later cars (not sure of the transition year, but it is not a gen1 to gen2 thing), have the two piston caliper setup. It is the same as the sedan's, and easily retrofitted to early cars. I did it on mine with great results. You'll need the rotor, dust shield and caliper.
Furthermore the pad price is around half of the early, larger pad's.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have single piston fronts. I'll try and locate some dual pot and assorted hardware.

I think the first ones wer 279mm, the later ones 300. I'll stick with what I have untill such time I can locate everything I need.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Aftermarket can be drilled and routed.
You mean like the ones I have on my cars now? I am well aware of vented and slotted rotors as I have had them mounted on my coupe for 4 years now.

Clearly I was correct in my meaning.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I mean 'vented', like in two discs with turbine blades between them. Mine are solid, meaning no vents, no slots, no holes, no nothing. Just a solid piece of metal.
Yes, I agree with roadhouse, they need to be center vented on SEC's and SEL's.

Swap them out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts