Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search on the forums.. I found a lot of suggestions.. Came up with

Akebono Cermic Pads
Raybestos Brake pads Quiet stop
Wagerer Thermoquiet
Rotex gold?

I am leaning towards raybestos quiet stop. Any suggestions? I found them at advance auto parts for $75

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
I'm trying out the EBC red stuff. I chose them because they advertise that these are the racing pads, they are quiet and offer much less dust. I'm starting to realize that either I like to break new ground or something, or I'm just crazy. I'll give an update when I have one (on the pads!).

At this point, they seem to be great, but I have not worked out my squeal issue. They have become much quieter, so there may just be a wear-in period. I installed these myself and I have seen conflicting procedures for breaking in new pads. I have had them for one week now.

Of course, it could just be that they are noisy and won't get better. They are tolerable now. Initially, I was ready to kill someone! :) I'll post an update in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
I second Pagid OE

I choose to use Pagid/Germany OE replacements, which are on the web at a discount.

I wash my car often enough I don't really have dust buildup on my wheels (my wheels are also wax)... and with Pagid and proper install I have never had squeaks or squeals, even on my zinc-plated slotted rotors.

All good choices !

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I found an excellent write-up on Wolfgang's website. It even shows where to apply the paste on the brake pads. Of course, as luck would have it, it's not where I applied the paste. I'll go back in and correct this at some point.

Wolfgang's ML Page: M-Class brake pads

·
Registered
02 S430 - 00 ML55 - 91 NSX
259 Posts
If you are going to choose between the first 2, I say AKEBONO for sure. They worked flawless for me and very little dust. Ray-QS will dust later in its life.

Never tired the other 2.

Mintex and Pagid dust like crazy.

of all the pads i have tried on various cars. for dustless and street duties, I would recommend:
Axxis Deluxe
Akebono Euro
Posi-Quiet

Project Mu NS if you have a JDM cars.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
EBC Redstuff update. I've have the pads for a week now and they are now much quieter. I think it was a combination of #1- the pads needing to settle in and #2- I'm sure I did something wrong, probably in how I applied the antisqueal paste. Anyway, for the noise level I will try to relate it this way... during many stops throughout the day, I only hear them squeal once or twice and it's not consistent... meaning, every low-speed stop does not induce a squeal. And, at the current noise level, it is not embarrassing when the brakes squeal.

It's a little premature, but here are my findings thus far. The EBC Redstuff pads are much cleaner than the OEM pads. I cleaned the truck on Monday and today, the front wheels are not signicantly dirtier than the rear. I think this is a pretty good improvement. As for stopping, I think they are good (can't tell much from any other good brake pad). I don't normally drive in a way that makes fading noticeable, so I don't think I can judge that, but they are race pads and supposed to be fad resistant.

I want to see if the squealing becomes non-existent. I'll post another update after I've worn these a while. For those of you buying pads sooner, I would say that, beyond dust level, I'd say these are not the cheapest pads. They are very affordable if you are going to DIY. Other than noise, dust and life of pads, I'm not sure how to objectively compare one pad to another. If anyone has ideas about how I should measure the quality/performance of these pads, I'm willing to entertain.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
1,126 Posts
Bogie said:
front wheels are not signicantly dirtier than the rear
Ditto my experience w/ the Wagners (which you're not supposed to use antisqueal paste on). I left the OEM pads on the rear. The Wagners are only around $58/pair.

The ML430/500/55 brakes are known for having squeal issues, unfortunately, and the rears wear twice as fast as the fronts.

·
Registered
99 ML320
10 Posts
I have a 99 ml320 and I've been using the Wagner Thermoquiets for the last two pad replacments. I use them to cut down on brake dust. I live in Dallas and garage my car so it doesn't get dirty too quickly. But between washings the front wheels would get extremely dirty. The Wagner pads stop great and I have no more issue with brake dust. Sure, they get dirty, but at the same rate as the rest of the car.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
346 Posts
I'm using the Rotex Gold. Very nice pads. Does not have quite the intial bite of the OEM, but close. No squealing and as far as dust is concerned, it's not even close. The Rotex beat the OEM on dust 10 to 1 IMO.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
675 Posts
I replaced all my brakes and rotors with Brembo and Pagid (I think thats OEM) around 1000 miles ago. Never had any squeeling and there is almost no brake dust..

·
Registered
07-ML350 (benz #9)
359 Posts
I replaced my rotors and pads some 5K miles ago with new Zimmerman disks and minitex pads all the way around. They stop great but have an intermitten squeal.... which is driving me a little bonkers. They also put out a lot of dust. I think one of the best pads I've ever had on some of my other benz's were Textar..... great stopping power but lots of dust...

I think I had ceramic pads when I got the truck... because they put off almost no dust. but they ate the rotors after about 40K miles I put on the truck after buying it. I couldn't tell what brand they were though.

The best prices I've found for parts is at Autohaus AZ.... based in Arizona.... I replaced brakes on all 4 wheels for around $270..... wasn't a tough job except for pulling off the old rotors which I think may have been original. Had to bang the hell out of them with a hammer to break them loose.... other then that it was a pretty easy job... took me about 3 hours to do....

Z

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
675 Posts
desmond_001 said:
HI wolfwinter,

does the pagid pad has a slot for installing the sensor?

thanks
Yes, the pads came with new sensors for free. I wonder about the squeeling people report and I wonder if it is the installation. Mine make no noise whatsoever and dust is minimal. I noticed when the pads where removed my mech also removed the silver "sliding bars" and used the new ones from the package.. the sliding bars are "u" formed and the caliper slides on top of them..wonder if this has to do with squeeling if you dont replace the old ones..?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Zaph-- did you use the MB anti-squeal paste with the Mintex/Zimmermans? I'm getting ready to put those on the front of my ML and was wondering about squealing as well. My current OEM pads/rotors are totally silent all the time, hoping the new ones will be too.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
zaphodsplanet said:
took me about 3 hours to do....
You did all four wheels in 3 hours!!!??? :bowdown:

·
Registered
'99 ML320
12 Posts
tzetter said:
Hey Zaph-- did you use the MB anti-squeal paste with the Mintex/Zimmermans? I'm getting ready to put those on the front of my ML and was wondering about squealing as well. My current OEM pads/rotors are totally silent all the time, hoping the new ones will be too.
Hey tzetter
I suggest that you should use the MB anti-squeal paste with the Mintex/Zimmermans. I installed Mintex/Zimmermans on the front of my 99 ML320 and they do have an intermittent squeal.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
I picked up some EBC pads and EBC discs.. Been real happy with them.

EBC Green Stuff..
EBC slotted discs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts