Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Porterfield, Mintex, EBC and Pagid produce less dust

You can get the EBC Greenstuff from one of the forum sponsors, TireRack, I think they are around $95. The Porterfield, which is what I have you can get from SpeedToys.com for $135. The Pagid, which is used in Brembo brakes are around $80 and the Mintex are around $55. The factory pads are $88 as a reference. Any of the aftermarket pads will produce less dust. Most people seem to like the Porterfield and that's why I got them. I've had them for a week and they produce slightly more dust than the rear wheel but I've heard that once they break in they will produce slightly less dust than the rear. They stop slightly worse than stock when cold and stop significantly better than stock when warmed up.<br> <br> You'll hear lots of opinions on this as to which brand is best and it's up to you to make the final decision. My dealer put them in for $48.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Porterfield, Mintex, EBC and Pagid produce less dust

You may want to do an internet search for those pads, particularly the EBC Greenstuff.<br> <br> I've not used EBC, but of all the ones mentioned by Buellwinkle, EBCs are the only ones that I have seen people complain about on various car internet sites (mostly about damaging rotors). I don't know if its true or not, but I'd look into it before putting them on.<br> <br> The other pads, people don't seem to have any problems, from what I've seen.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. Anyone know anything about damaging the rotors? My friend put the wrong sized pads (too small) onto his 5 series and the brake system failed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damaged rotors?

Pads are made for specific make/model of cars. Big mistake to not replace with correct type. I have front Porterfield pads and am very happy with results. Feel and stopping power seem the same but I am an 'easy' driver. I've heard they perform even better than stock under harsh conditions. Putting back pads on tomorrow. You loose the electronic wear sensor mounting bracket and hole in the pads to put the sensor with aftermarket pads but I eyeball mine constantly so don't miss it. Actually, seems you could just drill a hole in the pad and glue the sensor in if you really wanted to keep it. It's nothing fancy, just a wire loop mounted in plastic waiting to be worn through and break continuity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts