Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to change my pads/rotors out. I have yet to take off the front wheel and check, but does anyone know if the 1985 300D turbo uses ATE calipers or the other brand? Or do I just have to go and check?

Any recommendations on brands for a daily driver?
I will probably go with OE stuff at AutoHaus but I found some OE ones at Advanced Auto Parts..
thoughts?

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
It is best to check. Go to one of the many online sellers for a picture so you can see the difference - you might not be able to read any information on the calipers any more.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Either caliper will use any of the rotors or pads.

The Beck/Arnley has Ate on the back, those are good.

·
Registered
1983 300D
1,248 Posts
So I'm going to change my pads/rotors out. I have yet to take off the front wheel and check, but does anyone know if the 1985 300D turbo uses ATE calipers or the other brand? Or do I just have to go and check?
I think nine times out of ten for an '85, it will be Bendix calipers. If you had an '83 or earlier, nine times out of ten it would be ATE.

Buying pads for ATE or Bendix will be the same part number. Only difference would be if you are going to change out the hardware. i.e. pins, springs etc.

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ugh! I was driving on the freeway and I was driving fine for a while cruising at 70 mph. After about 20 minutes, I couldn't go past 50 mph??
My brake wear indicator light turned on and I managed to get off the freeway. After I parked the car I could smell something that seemed like it was burning. I popped the hood and nothing under the hood smelled burnt. It was more near the tires.
when i tried to push on the brake, it felt like it was higher than normal. I pressed hard and it seemed to release it. I'm able to press pretty far down..but am now getting the spongy feeling.
Does this sound like my master cylinder is toast? Does it seem like my caliper is not working properly as well? Or is this all attributed to pads that are in desperate need of replacement?
Thanks again for the previous replies.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
do you think I can drive home 40 minute drive?
Driving it will just do more damage.
If you have an old Car like these it really pays to be a member of one of the Auto Clubs or have Insurance that you can get some free Towing out of.

Driving these cars when you have a Mechanical Problem with will often escalate the Repair Costs and ever ruin things beyond economical repair.

The most common cause of stuck Brake Calipers is the rust and muck inside of the Caliper along with the Pads being worn thin.
After that it is the big O-ring seal losing elastickty.

After everything is cooled off:
Jack the front of the Car safely up and have someone step on the Brakes hard.
Rotate the Wheels by hand and see if they are easy to turn. If not easy to turn have someone step hard on the brakes again and loosen the Brake Line to the Front Wheels where it goes into the Master Cylinder.

If When you loosen the Line Fitting at the Master Cylinder you get s spurt of fluid and you can now rotate your Wheels freely then there is a good chance the problem is in the Master Cylinder.

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks..upon further investigation it appears my description is incorrect. Early I mentioned that it loosed after I got back in the car and pumped to reset. I think what really happened is that the pressure build up in the reservoir and lines cooled down. From the research ive done it appears my hoses could be the culprit ..not allowing the fluid to flow back. As the calipers stick, it generates more heat creating pressure on the lines and further activating the calipers. Does that seem plausible? It looks like I should start with the lines then investigate any debis and rust on the calipers.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts

Any recommendations on brands for a daily driver?
I will probably go with OE stuff at AutoHaus but I found some OE ones at Advanced Auto Parts..
thoughts?
Both ATE and Bendix were installed at the factory, no way to tell without looking, but it doesn't matter unless you plan to replace one caliper only or to repair/rebuild the calipers you have.

You'll find replacement calipers here for (nearly) a song and a dance: Mercedes W123 Brake Parts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts