Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just came across this listing on eBay, so as always its suspect!

MERCEDES ML55 AMG 00 01 02 03 BRAKE ROTORS PADS F&R | eBay

It has 4 rotors and all the pads for $300, that sounds too good to be true! and you know what that usually means...

But does anyone have any knowledge of this item for sale? If i have to i will be a test subject and load up children in my ML55 with the brakes to test it out for you.

·
Purple Moderator
21,710 Posts
Forget about the ebay drilled rotors.

Also if you noticed he only has feedback 19 sales in the last 12 months.
As a total he has a 90% rating which for me is quite poor on eBay.

Don't risk your kids for us.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh good eyes on the feedback on the seller and lack of sales. Ok, so i guess the kids are safe for now!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Forget about the ebay drilled rotors.

Also if you noticed he only has feedback 19 sales in the last 12 months.
As a total he has a 90% rating which for me is quite poor on eBay.

Don't risk your kids for us.
for 99% that's true but there are a few reputable shops/dealers out there that deliver quality. I got my drilled/slotted zimmerman rotors on ebay and i am quite happy with them. Having said that i haven't put more than 8k miles on them so who knows if they will warp anytime soon...

·
Registered
540 Posts
for 99% that's true but there are a few reputable shops/dealers out there that deliver quality. I got my drilled/slotted zimmerman rotors on ebay and i am quite happy with them. Having said that i haven't put more than 8k miles on them so who knows if they will warp anytime soon...
Warping is not the problem. Drilled rotors develop cracks between the holes. If a crack develops enough to join two holes, the rotor is done. If a crack develops from an outer hole to the edge of the rotor, its done and dangerous.
Imagine cruising at 80MPH and having a rotor disintegrate, with high speed shrapnel flying. Its not a pretty sight.

·
Purple Moderator
21,710 Posts
The only rotors that have holes in them that I would use are the ones where the holes
are actually cast into the rotor from the start. I have seen too many fragmented rotors on
open track days that were just drilled blanks. The drilling weakens the rotor.
For street driving in regions not in the salt belt I would be okay with a set Zimmerman's
because the corrosion factor is so much less in those regions that don't use salt in winter.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I used EBC Solid Blank Rotors and EBC redstuff pads are both are pretty damn good although You can go akebono pads for half the price and just as good performance from what i hear. The rotors were a good price too.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have regular Brembos and pagids pads and I will outbreak any cross drilled rotors on a dime. Even after 4 years on the truck I can stop on a dime and I am not talking driving 60 miles.

·
Registered
177 Posts
it doesn't necessary mean that this is not a good seller. The negative feedback was because of a paypal problem so they refunded the buyer and the same for the neutral feedback...all the rest are positive and seem to be satisfied......

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Dude, while you are probably right this reply is wrong on many levels. How are you sure youll out brake any cross drilled rotors? Because your truck feels like it "stops on a dime"? come on bro, im not trying to start a war here or anything but claims like this are ridiculous. There are some really good, but fairly expensive cast drilled and/or slotted rotors that will outperform OEM blanks. period.

I have regular Brembos and pagids pads and I will outbreak any cross drilled rotors on a dime. Even after 4 years on the truck I can stop on a dime and I am not talking driving 60 miles.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dude, while you are probably right this reply is wrong on many levels. How are you sure youll out brake any cross drilled rotors? Because your truck feels like it "stops on a dime"? come on bro, im not trying to start a war here or anything but claims like this are ridiculous. There are some really good, but fairly expensive cast drilled and/or slotted rotors that will outperform OEM blanks. period.
No war and why?
Same year truck, same tire brand and tire pressure, same age of rotors and brake pads.... you will see no difference

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
No war at all, but you honestly dont think if you went with a high quality, cast drilled rotors, and were out doing some spirited driving where the brakes were running hot that the properly engineered and designed drilled rotors wouldnt help you at all? Im not talking about some ebay drilled blanks. I think I may have came across too coarse and cocky here and I apologize, as I have never used the rotors Im talking about, so I have no first hand knowledge, but I would imagine they would help in a high performance street situation, at least to some degree. Its curious that you dont.

No war and why?
Same year truck, same tire brand and tire pressure, same age of rotors and brake pads.... you will see no difference

1 - 13 of 13 Posts